Giving out

Hopper's P.O.V ~

The darkness didn't last long because I fought it back. I couldn't let it take me away...not again. I see Sarah everyday in my dreams. They're not always pretty, but they're there. And they're impossible to shake off. Jerry shakes me more awake while I start to drift away again.

"H-Hopper?!" He loudly whispers." Please, we need to get help."

I wake up immediately and nod to him. He's right. We need to get out of here. We can't stay in our condition very long.

I grab enough courage to grab Jerry and start to take him toward the road. But it's a long walk and I doubt that Jerry and I will make it to the road in time.  But I sure hope that Steve makes it in time. That poor kid. He's been beat up more than once and he's probably all bloody and struggling to even stand up like me. Yet, he doesn't stop caring about the kids or any person really. A smile spreads across my face and I think to myself

"That kid would make a great police officer."

I keep walking with Jerry in my arms, struggling to keep my legs upright and walking. We're still a long walk from the road and my sense of hope is quickly fading. I mean, the kids and Joyce would notice that I'm gone right? After a while anyway. And hopefully, Steve makes it to the cabin to tell them that I'm gone. But doubt fills my mind and it's spreading fast.

I try to keep going and to keep walking, but my legs are starting to give out and my arms are starting to feel like jelly. I don't know how much more of this, I can take.

I take one look at Jerry and see the bloody teenager who probably did nothing wrong.

"Jerry Matthews huh ?" I think to myself. Why did that name sound familiar? Then it hit me. Jerry James Matthews. That's right! His father was on the force a while ago. Well he was anyway... he died almost a year ago in a shootout outside of town. Poor kid, he doesn't deserve this. I turn to look at Jerry's face, all bloody and pale.

"I'll get you out of here. I promise you. Your father was an amazing man and I'm sure you're just as amazing as him kid." I thought to myself. My legs were wobbly, like a baby elephant just learning to walk. I smile remembering that one time that me and El watched an elephant documentary. I remember her warm smile and her big brown eyes light up as she saw the baby elephant being born. Oh, El. I miss her and i wish that she knew where I was. I struggled to keep walking but then I stopped and instead of being surrounded by green and walking on dirt, I was standing over pavement. Road. I sigh in relief and put Jerry down.

Now all we have to do is wait.