HOW TO SURVIVE IN AGARTHA (Iselen P.O.V)

Hi, I'm Iselen and I play the fool. I'm very good at that since my life is at stake. Agartha's Court is not a comfortable place to live although from outside it looks like a never ending party. Welcome to the gilded cage where everything revolves around the King and his whims, which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that we're ruled by an unpredictable drunk that can get in an outburst of anger anytime.

My dad died in one of those occasions: a dinner turned into an orgy and, after drinking way too much alcohol, our King got paranoid with the idea that my dad was trying to betray him and he stabbed him, not bothering with a fair trial and don't giving a fuck for the fact that he was killing his brother in law. The point is that I think he was right, probably my dad was scheming to have him removed from his throne because his tantrums were out of control and the kingdom stability was compromised. After that episode, no one else dared to confront him so here we are, under the power of a drunkard that people call "Fat Bastard" behind his back. Actually, the Royal Guard is the one that pulls the strings here, officers rule while they keep the King happy with parties every night; unfortunately, they're a heartless brutal gang that exploit people while keeping them terrified.

Mom skedaddled after dad's death. She went off to her country estate, she says that she's lamenting her lost love and I say that she's afraid that her brother can kill her too in a fit of anger, and she left me high and dry here. Thanks for nothing mom!

Soon I learnt how to deal with the Court problems and my obvious lack of ambition helped me a lot: to be honest, my only ambition is get out of here and live quietly, but I'm not interested in a good marriage, wealth, a high position in the Court hierarchy, a life of luxury and a continuous and endless party. All that leads to premature death: I've lost count of how many aristocrats have been poisoned or executed after a misstep in this castle full of intrigues.

The gilded cage hides a hell and the best way to not get burned is playing the fool. I'm the perfect little princess that never draws attention to herself: I dress properly but not too fancy or flashy, I attend parties but not all of them, I dance enough in order to not look weird when I spend the rest of the night sitting on a chair in a far corner of the hall, I talk to other nobles in a polite and moderate way and I try to be boring in order to prevent any of them from asking for my hand in marriage. In fact, I'm 26 years old and I'm about becoming a spinster according to the kingdom standard.

I'm easy to ignore, I'm someone you'd forget soon, I keep the distance, I never share my opinion and I smile widely but I let them think that I'm an airhead. I'm not even a beautiful decorative objet: I keep my dark hair in a simple and tight bun, I never wear make-up or extravagant jewels and I conceal my height hunching my shoulders. I'm the King's niece but I barely speak to him, I have no influence or real power and that's why I'm not useful for anyone. And I'm still alive.

I live in a simple set of rooms on the north side of the castle, they're cold but I don't care. I don't have my own servants and I request castle's maids assistance from time to time, I'm better on my own so nobody can keep a watch on my movements. I only eat food that I personally select form the communal table and my only vice is riding my horse very fast. My magnificent mare, Deva, is my only prized possession and Eric, the groom that takes care of her, the only person I could call friend here. I keep my distance from everybody, my uncle barely notices me hidden behind his intoxicated mind, courtiers are only interested in those who can help them to prosper or those who can do favours and the Guard only cares about those who could be a threat to its predominant position.

But, above all, I try to avoid her: the sorceress.

Her name is Ruby Rose but nobody dares to call her that in her presence. Age: indefinite. As far as I know, she's been in the Court since before I was born; I don't know where she came from or what her intentions are but she's the King's right-hand woman, the only one that he never confronts. The Guard is afraid of her and the rest of the aristocrats have sheer panic and never oppose her. I understand why. I've only been close to her in one occasion, I mean physically, and I could feel her power, something alive vibrating under her skin. What would happen if something so powerful was released? I have no idea and I don't want to know it.

That day I saw her face too, a rare occasion since she usually wears dark clothes and keeps a hood over her face, hiding her eyes and her dark short hair. To be honest, I was shocked because she looked young even if she has to be at least the same age as my mom and yet she's beautiful, her skin flawless, glowing. I dread to think how she manages to keep her boyish good looks. Usually only her mouth is visible, her plump lips displaying a cocky smirk, and her hands covered in strange tattoos. But her eyes were beautiful when I saw them, blue-green, almost transparent like crystal, filled with deep knowledge. Eyes that can see everything despite de hood over her forehead.

That's why I've never gotten close to her again, because she's the only one in this Court capable of seeing right through my disguise and I don't want her to do discover Iselen's real personality behind the silly princess. I've spent years working out a plan to get away from here and now that I'm close to my goal, that I've saved enough money from my mother's little allowance and I have a good refuge to hide, I don't want her to stop me. That's why I keep my distance: she's always close to the King and I stay on the other side of the hall and, if we happen to meet in a corridor, I force my eyes to look down and I hasten my steps. I've never gotten anywhere near the east tower, which is where she has her den, although I know she's a gifted healer and some people summon enough courage to ask for her help. The last thing I'd want is to owe Ruby Rose a favour.

Just a little bit longer and I can be free.