THE SANCTUARY (Iselen P.OV)

- Wow... this place's huge... - I look around in awe, I can see lots of little buildings amongst the trees.

After two days travelling in comfortable carts drawn by oxen, sitting on silk cushions, we arrived to a sanctuary surrounded by high mountains and an enormous cypress forest. Apparently, this is one of the most sacred places of the island founded by a legendary princess and the most ancient temple consecrated to the goddess of the sun, who's also an ancestor of the imperial family. Ruby rolled her eyes with an ironic smile when she heard that information but she didn't say a word. Tian insisted on bringing us here so we could spend a couple of days sightseeing and also visiting the old library, which the Sorceress would love for sure. Actually, I think his intentions are to keep us away from Koji's home and spend some quality time with his old student. He has the feeling that we aren't comfortable and we want to go back home soon, it's a pity because I like the old guy despite he's a foul-mouthed.

The eldest area of the sanctuary is restricted access but, for what it can be seen from far away, it looks like a group of simple wooden huts surrounded by a fence. A large number of smaller temples are scattering around, they're more modern and show the characteristic curved roof, wood carvings and golden decorations. They're also doors and altars, gravel paths through the gardens and forests, fountains and streams... When we entered the library, Ruby rushed to read some of the silk and paper rolls but I got bored soon, the subjects she chose were too complicated for me so I decided to go out for a walk around the main temple. The vampire was sitting on the floor surrounded by unfolded paper rolls by then so I got out walking on tiptoes trying to not bother her, I randomly selected one path fringed by trees with yellow leaves and started walking but soon I heard a meowing behind me: Ruby wasn't so focused on her studies as it seemed and she sent Lucifer to protect me when she noticed that I was gone. I couldn't help smiling and rubbing my fingers on my cheek where her tracking spell is still marking my skin just in case.

It's been an hour now since I left the library but we haven't got too far because the cat insists on stopping in order to sniff plants, climb trees, drink water and rub his body on my legs threatening with making me fall, but I'm having fun and I enjoy the feline company. The truth is that this is a beautiful place and it's full of life: we've come across with some deer and rabbits, however Lucifer seems more interested in birds. I move my index to warn him not to dare to jump on them, he's well-fed and doesn't need to hunt so I hope he leaves the poor little birds alone. Squirrels, goldfinches and nightingales are too cute to die under his claws, not like that disgusting snake that...

- Oh, fuck! – I mumble scared when I see the ginormous animal with shiny scales slithering towards us opening its mouth aggressively: those fangs look like knives. I hesitate for a moment since I think no snake in this world can reach that size naturally but what the hell do I know about wildlife here? That bitch is coming fast and hissing so I gather energy and throw it against a huge stone pillar carved with strange symbols: it falls on the monster's head, its tale twists for a while and then stays still. I've reacted quickly in an instinctive way, actually I didn't think about it... in fact, I believe I'm in shock because I can't stop looking at that thing trying to process what's happened.

- Well, that's not what I was expecting you to do... but I can't deny that it was effective nonetheless – A voice behind my back startles me and I look around to find Tian leaning on his cane staring at me with a smile on his face.

- What the...? – I look in disbelief how the snake vanishes in the middle of wisps of smoke and the pillar levitates to its place again, firmly stable on its base – What were you expecting me to do? – I ask angrily.

- I don't know... turn around and run? – He raises an eyebrow staring at me amused.

- Tian!