Chapter 11 Luke, Hell, to repent

Luke collapsed at the shore of the River Styx.

"We're finally here," he moaned. "I thought we would never make it."

"Now we must begin," Zoë said.

Maya took the fleece from over her shoulder and then laid it carefully into the river, careful not to let her hand touch the surface. The golden fleece began to glow, then the golden glow of the fleece spread to the entire river, leaving a trail of golden liquid that could be seen from miles.

"What is it doing?" Maya asked.

"Purifying all the negative from the river," John said. "The river has always been filled with misery and sorrow. Pain and suffering. Now all of those spirits are freed from their burden."

"Typical Ryan," Moxie said. "He always likes to act like a good guy."

Suddenly, a soul appeared before them. This one was different. It was just as golden as the river. Soon, it materialized in front of them. A strong jaw, warm eyes, and an incredible build. Old greek armor and a single sword strapped to his side, brand new. Old sandals and Maya noticed a notable wound there that was slowly healing itself now on his heel.

She looked at him wide-eyed. "Achilles, I-I heard of you. My dad came to you once."

He nodded.

Luke waved at Achilles. "Hey guy, how are you these days."

"Until now I have been the same," he looked at Luke, a little puzzled. "I thought you died, I could feel my blessing flow back into me."

"Yeah," Luke said. "I did but I was brought back a few decades ago."

"Anyway," Achilles said. "You finally decided on the ritual."

"The ritual?" Zoë asked.

"Ryan came by earlier," he said. "Told me all the steps to the ritual to tell you while he helps Annebeth with their quest. I must say that it is surprising to see an undead walk among the living."

"So how does this ritual go?" Moxie asked. "I never heard of one where you dip the fleece into this river."

"That is because Ryan made it up. It is a new ritual," Achilles explained. "He seems very adept in the creation of magic."

"Almost too good. Why am I not surprised," John said thoughtfully. "He should run this by me."

"You completed the first step," he said. "Now you must set the fleece on fire using flames from the land of punishment. All the flames. And then bring them here to incinerate the fleece. I will use the ashes to create the gem of the dead."

"Gem of the dead," Maya said. "Like the one Ryan wears around his neck?"

"No," he said. "Ryan's is imbued with godly magic. But this can be done the same way. It acts as a container of sorts.."

"Then that is the entire ritual?" John asked. "This is a very crude ritual. But still, the fact he has the knowledge to create things like this intrigues me."

"Got it," Luke said. "Flames from the land of punishment, that shouldn't be too much of a problem."

"If it didn't require all the flames," Moxie told him. "All the flames? It's like a suicide mission."

"Let's focus here," Maya said. "I don't know if I can survive there. But I am sure that servants of the disorder can."

"Sure," Luke said. "Exploring actual hell seems fun now doesn't it Zoë?"

"Super fun," she agreed with a passive smile.

They went on back towards the fields of punishments that cast a bright red weary glow on the land of the dead horizon.