Chapter 23 A Demon's Promise

Percy fell down again, feeling his bones quake at the impact and his muscles strain.  but shakily got back up. They had been fighting them for a full day now. Maya and Sadie felt completely drained, but their sheer determination kept them all standing before Ryan. Kym was mostly hanging back, keeping humans away from the fray by killing them or destroying property. Ryan mainly handled the fighting, he didn't even seem tired. And fought effortlessly. Percy could tell he was holding back, even now.

"Have you tuckered out already Percy?" Ryan said, amused. He slashed his dark sword again, and the ground upheaved towards Sadie, as chaotic energy ripped through the ground. She summoned a barrier of Ma'at around her, but it immediately dispersed as the wall of destruction hit it. Percy ran and slashed at Ryan with his sword. But he ducked from a slash and blocked another with his own. Percy held out his hand, gathering water to blast Ryan with. But his movements were noticed, and he caught his wrist, smiling. he swiftly twisted his wrist out of its socket and kicked him away.

"Dad!" Maya ran and slashed her sword in Ryan's direction.

"Holy art: tenfold slash!"

After chanting, ten beams of light shot at them, but Kym carefully fired an arrow. As soon as it hit the ground a glowing yellow barrier erupted, and the slashes slammed into its surface, no effect.

"You can stay out of this Kym," Ryan said. He turned back to them, his sword still brandished.

"So is this the extent of your power?" Ryan held out a finger, chaotic power filling it and firing out at Percy, still clutching his hand. A beam of smoky red energy lurched onto him and his figure erupted with pain. Sadie and Maya rushed to stop him, but with a wave of his hands, they felt an overwhelming, destructive force throw them back.

"Looks like all of you get to die together," he said as he stepped closer to the three of them. They each shakily tried to stand and meet him. He held his hand out towards Percy again. "Take comfort in that Percy."

He began bringing down his sword but then he stopped, and then he jumped back as multiple arrows shot from above. They all could hear the noise of an engine, roaring above them fiercely. Percy looked up in disbelief, to see a sight he thought he would never see again. The hull of a giant bronze ship hovering just above them.

Several ropes dropped from a clear panel on the bottom, and from them, seven people dropped out and landed between Ryan and Percy.

"Are you alright?" Jason asked, holding his silver sword out towards Ryan.

Percy shakily got up. He could feel chaos trying to mend his injuries, relieving pain and stress. He wiped the blood from his lip and it healed in seconds. "Yeah. Thanks for dropping in like that."

"Thanks for keeping him busy long enough for us to recover," he said. "Now, let's get this show on the road."

    "We have to stop him," Annebeth said. "Typhon could rise any second now. The sea without Poseidon is too weak. We must end him."

"Seems like this got more interesting, hasn't it Ryan?" Thalia said knocking her bow. "You're outmatched against all of us."

"Oh?" Ryan asked curiously. He held up a finger. "If that really is so hunter, let me see what all of you can do."

Jason and Hazel charged him, slashing above and below. He lifted a foot and blocked Jason's attack. His movements were so simple, but not a single one was wasted. Leo blasted him in the chest with fire then, and he was thrown back several feet, but unburned, dusting the embers off his cloak as he observed the next attack. Thalia let loose multiple arrows at him, but he jumped into the air, sprouting wings of darkness to flutter above them all. He held out his hand, another smoky ball of red and black energy forming and lobbed it at Thalia.