6-Bitter words spoken

CHAPTER 6- BITTER WORDS SPOKEN

"Betty and I have been next door neighbors since we were four..." Archie started as Lauren awkwardly trailed behind him, playing with her fingers. "We've always gone to the same school, same class and that's where we met Lauren." 

At the mention of her name Lauren looked up as Veronica lets out a small laugh along with Archie who looked back, motioning for her to catch up to them. 

"I remember in the second grade, I was having trouble reading and Mrs. Gribrock, told my mom and dad I should stay back a year. Betty and Lauren were so against me not being in the same class as them, that they took it upon themselves to tutor me everyday. Lauren would help me on alternate days, they had a whole schedule." Archie says, his love for the two girls quite evident on his face.

"In the second grade?" Veronica muses with disbelief looking at Lauren for confirmation, was smiling fondly at the  memories. That shocked the raven-haired girl as she had never witnessed the brunette with a real smile on her face. 

"Yeah." Archie grinned, looking at the girl who continued to look to the floor. 

"Anyway when I passed, I kissed Betty and asked her to marry me and while Lauren refused saying 'She didn't like me like that', Betty said oh little Archie we're too young ask me when we're 18 and I'll say yes." Archie told her shaking his head as her remembered the words spoken by the two.

****

When the two reached Archie's place, they spotted Jughead already there sitting on the steps that led to the house. Archie looked at Lauren, obviously clueless about what was happening. 

"Jug. What's up?" Archie asked. 

Lauren walked up to Jughead, who wrapped his arm around her lazily. "What's up is that we saw you, Archie." 

"In the music room with Ms.Grundy." Lauren continued and Archie looked alarmed, as he walked forward, pointing to the house behind them. 

"Keep your voices down, my dad's inside." 

"I'm trying to help you, dude." Jughead said, holding his hands out in surrender. "I'm trying to be your friend here, even though we're not anymore." 

"How long?" Lauren asked, tapping her foot against the pavement. "You and Grundy." 

"Since the summer." Archie answered reluctantly. Lauren sighed at this. "I like her." 

"Oh come on, Archie." Lauren scoffed. "She is obviously using you." 

"So i'm guessing she is the reason you've been acting so weird since summer?" Jughead questioned his eyes narrowed. 

"One of them." Archie says, quieter. 

"One of them? There's more?" Lauren asked, her face showing the disbelief that she felt.