21- The Beginning of Chaos

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE, THE BEGINNING OF CHAOS

As Lauren Davis made her way to the group she always sat with it, she couldn't help but let out a sigh of exhaustion, her coffee and apple in her hand, she was hesitant to move forward and watch the four conversing. With her head held high, Lauren approached the group, making her way next to Veronica, who gaped up at her. 

"I hope you guys don't mind." Lauren said quietly as she took a seat next to Betty who beamed at her. 

"Laur! Of course not!" Betty exclaimed putting her hand on the girls shoulder.

With a grimace Lauren looked at the other three, them staring at her in shock. "Are you going to keep staring at me or continue with what you were talking about before?" 

Veronica shook her head with a polite smile. "Right. Enough about my drama. Betty, you were saying something about Jughead's birthday?" 

"Yeah." Betty nodded. "Just that Mr.Jones told me he's never had a birthday party!" 

Both Lauren and Archie simultaneously nod, humming a response. 

"Lets have one for him." Betty grinned as Lauren dropped her apple on the table, echoing a loud thud in the room. "Like a low-key surprise party." 

"No!" Archie and Lauren say in unison, giving each other a look of disagreement. "Jughead hates his birthday." 

"Every one says that but nobody means it." Kevin chimed in. 

"No," Lauren added shaking her head. "Jughead despises his birthday, not to gain attention, he hates that. He doesn't like presents or parties or fancy dinners, and I think you guys should respect that." 

Archie nods his head, stuffing his mouth with pasta. "She's right, Lauren out of all of us knows this best." 

"Okay, ignoring the negativity." Veronica says with an eye roll from Lauren. "Betty, Laur, you know me, any excuse to wear a cute party dress." 

"Yeah." 

"Okay, so I'm thinking a quaint gathering, inner-circle only." Veronica proposed. 

Lauren tried desperately not to let out the fact that Jughead didn't consider any of them acquaintances, especially Kevin and Veronica, so with that though she kept her mouth shut, deciding not to burst the girls bubble.

"Oh my god." Kevin broke out, breaking Veronica's talk. "Don't turn around." 

Despite his warning, all the girls turned to see the commotion, curiosity lurking through their minds as their eyes wonder over to the person Kevin had pointed out, Chuck Clayton. The boy gave a cunning, sly smile towards Betty and Lauren, it supposed to be taunting yet doing so to neither. 

A small ache grew in the pit of Lauren's stomach, the food she had barely digested, coming into her mouth at the thought of his return. Lauren squeezed her eyes dhut, hoping it would subside the burning rage she suddenly felt but apparently Betty couldn't,   the girl stood up, anger practically boiling out of her.