✗Chapter 1: A Forlorn Funeral✗

"Mommy, why did daddy have to die?" You tugged at her sleeve, looking up at your mother with tear-filled eyes. Her eyes were also glittering with tears; her whole face pale and drawn whilst she trembled.

"Daddy was in-in an accident, t-that's all. He didn't have to die, sweetie." She whispered as she wrapped her arms around you in a tight hug.

"But it's not fair!" You wailed and stamped on the ground - missing your father immensely.

You were only nine, you didn't deserve this kind of heartbreak. Your mother had told you that your father died in a car accident, due to a drunk driver. But you didn't want to believe it; your heart set on him still being alive. Perhaps he was just...sleeping! Yeah sleeping! That was it! You rushed towards the church, wanting to wake your father up with a true love's kiss.

"(Y/n), darling, wait!" Your mother ran after you, her heels clacking against the concrete as she easily caught up.

"Daddy needs to be woken up! Just like the fairytales you both read to me! You kiss them on the mouth and then they magically awaken - we must break the spell!" You told her excitedly, the tears drying on your lashes.

"No sweetheart, daddy can't be woken up with a kiss. If it were that easy I would've done it already. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." She whispered and rejected your idea.

"He-He can't just be gone mommy! He said he'd come back! He said he'd be back for dinner and he wasn't!" You bursted into more tears, crying as you held your mother's hand.

"I know, I know. Come now, we need to go to the graveyard - they'll bring daddy out in a minute." Your mother said in a low voice. You gave an unhappy nod and followed her round the side of the building; seeing the crowd of people ahead.

"How you holding up, Andrea?" Your aunt asked as the two of you walked up to her, her expression one of sympathy.

"Aunty Claire." You whimpered and gave her a hug, feeling upset.

"Hey pet." She picked you up, holding you against her hip and rubbing your side comfortingly.

"Hi Claire. I'm not doing very well." Your mother admitted quietly, giving her sister a quick hug as well.

"Aww Andrea...it'll be alright. Perhaps (Y/n) could stay at mine until-"

"-No!" Your mother shrieked insecurely; surprising you and your aunt.

"I-I'm sorry-?" Your aunt stuttered.

"I mean...No thank you. It was a kind offer, but I can't let (Y/n) out of my sight. She's too precious." Your mother took you into her arms and buried her head into your hair - clearly worried.

"Well...just know I'm here for you, Andrea. I love you -oh, and (Y/n) too." Your aunt smiled at you both, understanding your mother's worry. You were her only child after all, it was only right she'd want to protect you.

"I love you too." Your mother forced a smile back and took her seat at the funeral.

She sat you down next to her - still holding your hand - and tensed up when the funeral actually began, the melancholy music beginning to play. The whole thing was full of sorrow; each person close to your father giving a little speech and placing a flower on his coffin as they went past. You and your mother got up and walked towards the coffin, both of you weeping softly.

"I will always love you, Ethan." Your mother murmured heartbrokenly, placing a white rose on top of his coffin.

"I love you daddy." You wept; placing a lily on the mahogany wood and rubbing at your eyes. A few minutes passed as you and your mother stayed at the coffin, the silence becoming more and more painful with every second.

"Time to move, hon." Your aunt placed a comforting hand on your shoulder, jolting you out of your miserable thoughts. Your mother was waiting for you to sit back down, her eyes full of concern and anguish.

"I-I don't want to...I want to stay close to daddy. I can't say goodbye, I really can't!" You cried in distress.

"They need to lower him into the ground dear. I know it's sad, but he'll be one with the Earth. He'll watch you from heaven with all the pretty angels and birds." Your aunt tried to cheer you up in a quiet voice, but you were too upset.

"I don't want him to watch me from heaven! I want him back here with us! With me!" You sobbed as you refused to move - your mother moving back towards you.

"Come on (Y/n) darling." Your mother held one hand and your aunt held the other, gently pulling you away.

"No! NO! DADDY! Don't leave me! Please don't, please!" Your sobs became a grieving scream; the other people at the funeral only sending you sympathetic looks.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I really am. Daddy can't come back. It's just the two of us now." Your mother picked you up and took your writhing form back to the seat; crying with you.

"No...No...It can't be." You clutched at her shirt and hid in it, choking out your words. He couldn't be gone, he couldn't be...could he...?

He could. And he was. You had to watch as your father's got lowered into the ground, the flowers going down with him. Then, just like that, it was over. Your father was gone. The crowd dispersed; going to the funeral afterparty to discuss different matters and eat. But you and your mother, you two simply stood there - looking at the coffin in the ground.

"I know it's going to be difficult, but I will look after you sweetie, I...I promise." Your mother remarked gently, taking your hand and squeezing it.

You did nothing.

"You can't let this affect you. You're such a bright and bubbly girl, your father wouldn't want you to change because of this."

You didn't say anything.

"He loved you (Y/n), he still loves you. Always and forever."

Not one word.

The sun slowly sank into the landscape behind the graveyard; the golden glow of the sun casting a sweet shine across the land as its job was almost finished. The birds' chirping ceased, the wind grew still and the old-fashioned lampposts flickered on - time continuing to move. But you didn't. You kept staring, tears drying on your cheeks as your expression didn't change.

Why had the world been so cruel and snatched your father away from you? Why did God take your father's life? What could you have to deserve this type of pain? All these questions bounced around your nine-year-old mind, the happiness fading from your memories whilst you thought over this. How were you and your mother going to manage? What would happen?

"You need time, I understand. We'll get through this." Your mother kissed your cheek and lightly guided you away from the grave - to the afterparty.

You sat by yourself at the party, leaning your head on the table and gazing at the walls in disinterest. People and their children tried to cheer you up and give their condolences, but you just gave mindless nods - not caring. What else were you meant to do? Joy didn't belong here; sadness was the only thing casting its shadow at this time. You caught your mother and your aunt talking, deciding to listen as they held drinks in their hand.

"Do you have any future plans? Are you financially covered? What about (Y/n)? I'm worried about you Andrea." Your aunt spoke seriously.

"We're planning to move out of the house by next year. We're going to move state; make a new start. And yes, I am financially covered, please don't worry yourself. (Y/n) and I will be fine." Your mother responded in a monotone voice, exhausted.

"You're moving-? Where to-?" Your aunt looked surprised; not hearing this news before.

"We're moving to Haddonfield, in Illinois."