✗Chapter 3: Modified Moods✗

You and Michael were sat in his living room, watching a totally-awesome horror movie. It was about a shapeshifting monster who killed kids and devoured them around every thirty years, appearing innocent and friendly one minute; then maniacal and evil the next. You were mostly enjoying it, but when the monster did the creepy laugh you grew a little...stressed.

"This is awesome! Hey...you okay?" Michael noticed your tense posture and poked your cheek, cocking his head to the side as he waited for your answer.

"Y-Yeah! It's a great movie! I just get a little scared of the evil laughter, that's all." You grew embarrassed and tried to play it off.

"How can you be scared of it? It's a wicked laugh." He grinned; doing a dark laugh of his own to comfort you.

"Anyway, if it does scare you, just laugh with him - it'll make it less scary." Michael pointed out cleverly.

"Really?" You sounded a little doubtful and he picked up on that.

"He does it again in a minute. Let's do it together. You ready?" He asked brightly, making you smile.

"As ready as I'll ever be." You agreed as you continued to watch. The two of you then laughed in a lunatic-like manner, the laughing causing you to giggle.

"You were right, it's much funnier now." You mimicked his grin from earlier - your expression much more cheerful.

"See? And you were afraaaaaaaaaid of it!" Michael teased, punching your shoulder in a lighthearted way.

"Was not!"

"Was too!"

"Stop repeating me!"

"Take this!" You grabbed one of the sofa cushions and swung it into his side; the both of you erupting into giggles.

"Cushion combat, one on one! I shall defeat thee!" Michael snatched up a pillow and threw it at you - the cushion smacking you right in the face. He snickered at your stunned face, growing nervous when an evil smile spread across your face.

"Oh Mikey, you really shouldn't hit girls with cushions~" You hummed under your breath.

"Did you just call me Mikey?"

"Yes Mikey, for you see...I am your father."

"That doesn't even make any sense!"

You two were laughing again, hitting each other with the soft cushions until one of them burst. Soft feathers floated down onto the floor, both of you freezing and looking awkwardly at the ground. Uh oh...Michael's mother was probably going to be upset. Or angry. You didn't know which was worse. Perhaps the anger? You hoped Michael wouldn't get into any trouble-

"Aww, now I don't have a line of defence." Michael pouted.

"That's your worry?! What about your mom? Isn't she going to be angry at you for ruining the cushion?" You panicked on his behalf, feeling guilty.

"Nah. She'll like the fact I actually have a friend." He rolled his eyes and kicked at the feathers, acting cold again. Guess he had wild mood swings.

"You don't have many either, huh?" You ruefully asked; relating to him on that. Your mother's clinginess meant that most kids were either weirded out by you or just avoided you completely.

"You don't?" Michael was surprised, confusion and curiosity coming from his tone.

"Not really. I'm a bit...weird." You didn't lie, but you certainly didn't tell the whole truth.

"You're not weird." He smiled and held your hand, giving it a squeeze. You were about to reply when you realised how long you'd spent here. You had to get home!

"My mother might come back - I have to go!" You gasped and scrambled up from the seat, making Michael sigh.

"Already?" He complained.

"I don't want to be caught breaking the rules. I'll um...I'll see you at school right?" You rushed towards the door, not realising your bracelet had fell off your wrist during the cushion war.

"Yeah. You're gonna go to Haddonfield Elementary?" Michael sounded excited and you nodded.

"Well where else am I gonna go?" You stuck your tongue out at him and opened the door, amused by his sudden excitement.

"I don't know... It'll be cool to see you there though. See you on Monday then!" He waved as you walked away from the door - you giving him a merry wave back.

"Bye Michael!" You called cheerily, crossing the road and running back to your house just in time. Your mother came back a few minutes after you did, her face exhausted whilst she tried to smile.

"Hey sweetie, I'm back. I'm sorry it took so long, you must've been bored." She apologised unhappily, giving you an affectionate hug.

"Not really." You smiled widely - startling her a little.

"Not really? I've been almost 90 minutes, what did you do that was so entertaining?" Your mother asked in surprise as you froze.

"U-Uh I just drew something." You quickly lied; forcing a fake smile.

"Oooh, can I see?" She dumped her purse on the the windowsill by the door and focused all her attention on you.

"I-uh-well...You can't! B-Because I threw it in the bin." You fibbed hurriedly.

"Why would you do that? Your drawings are always good!" Your mother looked dismayed and tutted at you in disapproval.

"I messed it up. But it's alright, I can always redo it." You pretended to be disinterested, pleased when it worked. Who knew you could lie so well and act so innocent?

"Anyways, I should really unpack. I've got school tomorrow!" You spoke at the top of your voice before hurrying to your room, shutting the door behind you and leaning against it. Phew.

"Just call if you need anything, pet. I love you!" She called after you sweetly - her sentence making you slightly irritated.

It's kind of her to offer help, but she could never leave you alone! Ever since you slipped out, you realised that you liked being detached from her; you liked-no, loved the new freedom you'd found in this quiet town.  You itched for more - you craved the sweet sanctuary of socialisation. And the more you broke the rules, the more you got what you wanted.

So that's what you'd do. Break the rules and break out of your chains.

"Michael, what happened to the sofa cushion? Did you rip it on purpose?" Deborah Myers asked her son with a sigh, placing her bag down on the floor and seeing all the feathers.

He just looked at her - expressionless as he sat on the couch, alone. Judith hadn't returned to care for him and god knows where that drunk fuck Ronnie was. The only thing that had brightened his day was (Y/n), the new girl from across the street. He'd known her for less than a day and he already liked her more than most people. Funny how that worked.

"Where's Judith? Didn't you watch the movie together?" His mother switched subject, trying her best to get him to open up. He shook his head, silently answering her question.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, I know how badly you wanted to watch that movie. I'm going to have a talk with your sister later, she can't keep behaving so recklessly. It's rude." Deborah huffed indignantly. Michael still said nothing, not caring. Why should he? Nothing had changed.

"Hey, who's bracelet is this?" She picked up a silver bracelet off of the ground; the two heart-charms entwined with each other. Not saying a word, the blonde-haired boy snatched the jewellery out of his mother's hand and stalked upstairs - ignoring her confused questions.