✗Chapter 22: Extra Empathy✗

"But the plan was to stick with Gabby and Laurie! He might attack them if I don't stay with them tonight!" You raised your tone at your mother; despising her wild decisions. She was suggesting you stayed home with her - what kind of help was that-?!

"From the state you're in, I'm guessing you've already seen Michael - so to go out again would be ridiculous! You need a warm bath and some time to de-stress from this craziness Dr. Loomis has put you under." Your mother retaliated quickly, crossing her arms.

"De-stress...? De-stress?! How do you de-stress when a psychotic killer is hunting you down? And newsflash Mom, he knows where I am! I wouldn't be surprised if tonight was when he tried to get me!" Your voice grew louder as you stormed out of the kitchen, deciding to ignore her nonsense.

"If we lock the doors and alert Dr. Loomis that you've seen Michael around, he won't get you tonight. You're overthinking this, sweetie." She followed you into the hallway; softening her tone deliberately.

"Michael is a lot smarter than he lets on Mom. If that was him I saw in the woods today, then why didn't he try to kidnap or kill me then? Tell me, why?" You whirled around to face her, worried and angry.

"W-Well because...Because...Maybe he just didn't get the chance to!" She stuttered in defence and you shook your head.

"I was completely alone. Defenceless. Vulnerable. He had every chance to. But he didn't do it. Why? Because he's waiting for Halloween. Don't you see why he came back?" You spoke impatiently - wishing she could see it.

"He came back because he's out of his mind, he...he's not thinking straight honey." Your mother placed a hand on your shoulder but you jerked it off, glaring at her.

"He's thinking very straight...or at least very smart. He's using the shadows as cover. He came back to find his family...or at least...the chaotic fragments of his family. Can't you understand? He's not here to kill me. He's not here to kill Laurie either! Dr. Loomis was right - he's searching for the things that made him the happiest." You explained in exasperation and went up the hallway stairs; wanting to take a bath.

"For God's sake (Y/n), you're acting like...like you sympathise with him!" Your mother snapped in a shrill voice, irritated.

"As scared as I am, I think I do sympathise with him. I know what it's like to be alone." You murmured under your breath - walking into the bathroom and beginning to run the bath.

"Everyone sees Michael Myers as a monster... as a deranged, homicidal murderer. So I ask you this darling...what do you see him as?" Your mother asked seriously; her serious tone throwing you off.

What do you see Michael as? You thought back to your childhood memories, recalling the fear in your heart when he grew obsessed over you. The anxiety when he rocked his baby sister in his arms and then confessed his love for you. And now he was searching for you - to drag his family back, piece-by-piece. Even though you were afraid of him, you didn't pin him as a bloodthirsty beast...not like everyone else.

"I see a very lonely boy...someone who's desperate for some kind of family structure. Some type of cornerstone." You answered finally, facing her fully now.

"Be that as it may, killing people and singling you and Laurie out like this...that's not a lonely boy doing that anymore (Y/n)...that's a man, filled with obsession and bitterness." Your mother replied exhaustedly, her face pale and drawn.

"Weren't you filled with bitterness too? You seemed to think it was fine cutting me off from people. To isolate me from normal kids. So don't try and rise above it. I'm going to take my bath now." You shortly responded.

With a hurt look on her face she flounced out, leaving you alone in the bathroom. You didn't like to hurt her intentionally, but she couldn't keep playing victim like that. Maybe you were too empathetic towards Michael, yet she thought what she did was completely fine? Ugh, of course. You climbed into the warm tub and exhaled softly - loving the hot water that heated up your body.

After your bath you'd text Gabby and Laurie - to tell them the plan had changed, as well as the encounter with Michael. What happened to just moving to Gabby's town and having a chill life with her? Why did everything have to be so...so complicated? This whole experience was like some kind of fucked-up horror movie, the worst part being that you couldn't escape. Michael would just track you down; track you and Laurie down.

As long as it meant he had a family.

You cleaned the dirt and tiny twigs off of your body, rubbing your skin with a strawberry soap instead - to give your body a sweet scent. It was better than looking like a muddy homeless person. Once you'd rinsed the bubbly soap off, you hopped out of the tub and grabbed a towel - wrapping it around your waist. Time to get changed into pjs and talk to Gabby. Hopefully she was still with Laurie. Hell, you just prayed Laurie was okay. At least alive.

Minutes ticked past as you rubbed yourself dry and got changed into fuzzy pjs; letting your hair dry naturally whilst you picked up your laptop. Then you messaged Gabby - wanting to know what was going on. Luckily, she replied in just a few minutes, putting your mind to rest and confirming that Laurie was indeed fine.

Gabulous: Laurie's fine, she went home an hour after you did. Are you okay? How you holding up?

(N/n): I...I wish I could say I was fine. I-I saw Michael.

Gabulous: Y-You did? What happened? What went down? Did you two talk or something?

(N/n): No. He's stalking me, only coming close when I'm unconscious or unaware of my surroundings. He's studying my behaviour, waiting for Halloween to strike. But I don't think he's going to kill Laurie and I.

Gabulous: Guess I'm still in the kill-zone, huh?

(N/n): Yeaaaah...Sorry Gabs. I've figured out what he wants and I want to do something about it.

Gabulous: For God's sake, don't do anything rash. I know you (Y/n), and I know that you just go with your gut. Why don't we meet up with Laurie tomorrow and make a plan?

(N/n): What kind of plan? We're gonna Skype on Halloween and look out for one another. I thought that was the plan.

Gabulous: It was, but I feel like now you're just gonna go off on your own.

(N/n): Does ye have little faith?

Gabulous: Am I wrong for not having faith?

(N/n): I'll stick to the plan, have a good night Gabs x

You logged off the chat-room and then shut the laptop lid, not wanting Gabby to question your plan. Yes you'd stick to the original plan, but at the same time you wanted to meet Michael again. His name still struck fear and uneasiness into your heart, yet there was just something to...mysterious about him. Why was he being so smart and so patient? Yes it was a clever strategy, but this was the same guy who'd obsessed over you day and night.

Whatever he was planning to do, it wouldn't be good news for either of you. Because even if he had you and Laurie in his grasp, what would he do with you both? The only thing you could think of would be to hold you two prisoner, which wasn't a family-like thing to do at all. Just what was he thinking? You were afraid, but at the same time you were intrigued by him.

Was it mere curiosity? Or was it that you were far more interested in him than you let on? Was your fear nothing more than shyness? No...No that was impossible. You were scared of him. You had to be. The stalking was strange, the small acts of animal violence were terrifying, and the constant stress of being targeted was wearing you out. So of course it was only curiosity. You'd stop Michael and help Dr. Loomis save Haddonfield before it was too late.