✗Chapter 9: Halloween |Part 1|✗

You barely spoke to your mother that evening, too hurt by her shameful actions that took place in the principal's office today. She was way out of line, especially about Michael. He'd stood up for you and stopped Wesley from bullying you further. If anything you owed him. Halloween was tomorrow, maybe you could convince your mother to let the two of you spend it together?

She probably wouldn't let you. So your only other alternative was to sneak out and somehow spend it together, which made you smile. You really had grown rebellious due to Michael, but you didn't actually mind. It made you feel braver, less shy than you used to be. What could you get Michael that would thank him for earlier? Maybe some pre-Halloween candy? Yeah! That would be a fine gift!

That night you pretended to go to sleep, however in actuality you were waiting for your mother to fall asleep. Once you heard her bedroom door shut, you sneaked out of your room and crept down the stairs, getting that cliché creak on one of them. Luckily you mother didn't acknowledge nor hear the discreet sound, which meant you could go downstairs in peace. So you quietly entered the kitchen - on a mission to hunt for candy.

"You got this for me?" You jolted out of your thoughts as Michael held the candy in his hands, a surprised expression written across his face.

"Yeah. It's a thank-you present." You shyly replied, sitting on the bench next to him.

You were both outside for lunch, the sun shining through the silvery clouds and warming up the cold day a little bit. Today was Halloween - everyone talking about their costumes and their plans. You still hadn't thought about how you would spend it with Michael though... Hey, at least your classes were turned into fun activities because of Halloween!

"You don't have to thank me." Michael shook his head and smiled, pocketing the candy as he threw you a grateful glance.

"You got a detention because Wesley picked on me, so the least I can do is thank you." You timidly argued.

"That made me so mad." Michael said slowly, his eyes glowing from unhinged anger whilst his mood suddenly switched.

"Well my mom talked to the school counsellor - they're going to stop Wesley picking on people. So it's all good, 'kay?" You nervously touched his arm and tried to calm him down, seeing how easily worked up he got over Wesley.

"He deserves much worse than being talked to. I wish he'd just die." Michael muttered bitterly.

"I don't think anyone deserves to die. I think it just...happens." You mused uncomfortably - not liking the subject of death.

"How are you so nice? Somebody close to you died and then you got picked on...but you never get mad at people." His gaze moving to you as he grew confused instead of angry.

"Mom just told me that people make other people sad because they're sad too, so you kind of start feeling sorry for them." You shared your wisdom softly, swinging your legs back and forth above the concrete.

"Not me. I don't feel sorry for bullies." Michael said in a low voice, his hate flaring up again.

"Michael~" You sighed as you left the subject alone, not wanting to stir his rage any further.

"Not everyone can be as nice as you are." He grinned impishly, some admiration mixed into his sentence.

"Yeah they can." You giggled and brushed a stray bit of your hair behind your ear.