✗Chapter 4: Starting School✗

"Are you sure you don't want me to visit you at lunchtime?" Your mother asked worriedly, brushing your hair for you as she checked over your outfit.

"No thank you. It's fine - everything's fine." You patiently responded.

"But your old school let you come home and eat! This new school won't let you - no matter how many times I ring them! It's absurd." She complained in frustration, putting the brush down on the kitchen table abruptly.

"I want to eat with the other kids. I haven't had any friends since...since last year." You stood up and grabbed your pre-packed schoolbag; excited to be going somewhere new. You'd be free - at least for a few hours.

"I know, but I get worried. You're so precious to me (Y/n)." Your mother gave you a hug before walking to the door with you, her eyes full with anxious love.

"Can we go now?" You were a tad impatient - wanting to be in a new environment.

"Got your textbooks?"

"Yep!"

"Lunch?"

"Uh huh."

"Pencil case?"

"Mhm. Let's go!" You tugged her out of the house, wildly eager to leave.

"Fine. We can go now." Your mother ruffled your hair and then locked the house, smiling at your bubbly state. When was the last time she'd seen you this excited?

You were ecstatic; bounding across the sidewalk as you walked to school with your mother - wanting to get there as quickly as possible. The school was a medium-sized brick building, the design basic yet somewhat interesting. A few trees were dotted in front, the leaves drifting to the ground every so often as the wind rustled through the branches swiftly. Kids were pouring into the doors, chattering at the top of their lungs whilst they talked to their friends. You envied then.

"So...your first day! Are you feeling alright? Are you nervous? Do you need to take some aspirin before you go in? O-Or maybe some juice?" Your mother fretted frantically, gnawing at her lip whilst she internally panicked.

"I'm fine mom, really. See you later!" You brushed her worrying off and gave her a wave before heading inside.

You were a bit shy, but not scared like your mother assumed you to be. Then again, she treats you like you're always afraid. Going up to one of the teachers in the hall, you told her your name and asked where you were meant to go. She told you to wait whilst she talked to your teacher, so wait you did. Then she came back out.

"Your teacher - Miss Price - needs to say a special message to the children in your class before you enter. Wait outside the last door on the right until she comes and gets you, alright?" She kindly instructed, going off to do her job...whatever it was.

Special message...? Wonder what that could be. Minutes passed as you heard a female voice speaking to the class, making you feel nervous due to the fact that you were the only one standing in the hallway now. Everyone else had gone to their classrooms. Eventually a lady left your class and flashed you a smile.

"(Y/n), how very nice to meet you. Why don't you come inside and say hello to everyone?" The woman opened the door and motioned for you to go through, the nerves finally getting to you.

"U-Uh, right." You agreed as you awkwardly entered the class - wondering what to say. To your surprise Michael was in your class; making you feel a little better. At least you knew someone here.