9

"We're throwing you a birthday party."

"My birthday was a week ago," Santiago downs on Val's fantastic idea.

"You had your grown up celebration of going out to dinner, Mom style, but now you gotta do it the drugs and alcohol way, before you get all old which will happen soon."

"I'm only eighteen."

"For now. So you agree to the party?"

"No."

"But you can invite your girlfriend."

"You have a girlfriend?" Carlos asks, turning his attention away from the tv.

"No, I don't."

"Invite your girly friend then."

"Alright, Val, you can have your damn party if you stop bringing up my non-existent girlfriend."

"Deal!" Val whips his phone out of his pocket and starts texting like a crazy person just when Ray comes through the front door in running shorts and dripping of sweat. He sees me coming over and takes his ear plugs from his ears.

"Why didn't you tell me you were going a run? I would have came."

"I didn't want you to come."

"Gee, thanks," I bulge my eyes out and turn around.

"It's not personal; I just like to be alone to clear my head."

"Got it."

"Yasmin," he sighs and I turn around again. "We can run together next time."

"I said I get it."

"You make it obvious that you're bothered."

"You can make it up to me by coming shopping with me?"

"Thats pushing it." He lightly slaps my cheek and walks upstairs.

Going back to the living room area, I ask if any of my lazy brothers will come with me but get a straight no, so I am forced to go to the extent of asking my female friend.

Me come shopping w me?

Brooke Thought you'd never ask. Girls gotta stop only hanging w her brothers at one point.

Me hey I have other friends

Brooke Name one except Jace and Wes

Me  Montana. Amelia.

Brooke That's cheating

Well, my brothers and close friends are the only people I can really be myself around so I don't need a bunch of friends I barely know.

Preach honey.

Is it allowed to preach at myself? Do I care if it's not? Nope.

+++

"Girlll, you look hot."

I look at myself in the mirror, adjusting the dress at my boob area. "I kinda love this."

"You look so sexy. Guys will be all over you." Brooke goes onto her phone, texting while I continue to examine how I look in the mirror.

The dress is black and decorated in zips, hanging perfectly on my hips and showing the right amount of cleavage. I've already made up my mind but I still seek a third opinion from someone who doesn't know much about fashion.