30

Jace's POV

"Yikes," is all Alex says as we stand staring at my destroyed car.

He texted me, ready to rip my head of thinking I slept with Yasmin, but I told him to come over and let me explain.

"Yeah," I mumble.

Alex chuckles. "Fiery little Yasmin."

"Glad you find this amusing."

"What'd you do?"

I sigh and sit down on the front porch step. "I fucked up, man."

"The usual then."

"You don't gotta be a dick, Alex."

"I'm sorry dude, but this is my sister we're talking about. I told you to stay away and you clearly didn't."

I'm silent, looking down at the floor while Alex takes out a cigarette packet and hands me one. He lights his own then throws the lighter and I catch it.

While I light mine, he sits down on the step beside me and watches me, waiting for an answer.

"I... I told her I love her." I hold my breath while waiting for his response.

"Jesus."

"Obviously I woke up and realised it was a mistake, and may have said some things that hurt her, which resulted in her taking a fuckin' sledgehammer to my car."

"Fair reaction," Alex says sarcastically.

"Girl's psycho," I manage a laugh. "It's part of why I love her though."

I regret what I said as soon as it's came out of my mouth, because now it's not just I love her as a friend, now he knows it's more than that.

"You really love her?" Alex asks after a moments silence.

I take a drag of my cigarette and look away. "I don't know. How are you meant to know that shit? How do you know you love Amelia?"

Alex shrugs. "You just know. I guess I knew I loved Amelia 'cause of how much I cared about her. Like I'd do anything for her. It's like finally finding a purpose in life and feeling like if you lost her you'd die."

I think for a moment about how I feel about Yasmin. I've always known I'd do anything for her. I'd take a bullet for her. She's like the light in my life and when she stopped talking to me, I felt the shittiest I'd felt in a long time. Everyday is pain knowing she isn't mine, yet it's also exciting. And when she's not around, the world is dull. Everything is just better when she's there.

Gross.

"I can't love her," I shake my head, trying to get rid of all the thoughts I just thought. "She'll never let me in. And you, I'd lose you if anything happened with us."

"Yeah, you'd lose me if you hurt her again like before. We both know you're not ready for anything serious and wouldn't be able to handle it. That's why I keep warning you to stay away. You'll break her heart."