chapter two

The future seemed clear and bright. She imagined that kind of phrase should have formulated in her mind when she was younger. Around eighteen? Twenty perhaps? Somewhere there, not on the front door of thirty. But it was better late than never, wasn't it? Self-actualization didn't have an assigned time, did it? One could achieve, dream and become without age limitations and inhibition, she desired to believe.

Yet, standing by the floor-to-ceiling window that partitioned the living room of her new house and the environment outside, she couldn't help berate herself for all those stalled dreams. Why couldn't she have just figured herself out at a younger age? Shifting the blame on a man-or men- regarding her failures was utterly moronic when in truth, she had been the one that had foolishly lost herself.

Somewhere between being born into unbelievable poverty, featurelessness and losing her mother and grandmother, who were the only family she'd ever known, she'd lost track of time and her consciousness altogether. Most people liked to compliment her, saying she'd done well for herself but why couldn't she just believe them. Problematic as her life was, someone would always commend her for publishing a book, for excellent sales. Rose, her best friend, gushed over her big heart and kindness, why couldn't she just accept that. Be kind to herself and enjoy the praises showered upon her?

Because, in truth, she was a pathetic failure. All those people who thought her laudable were blind to the failure that was her as a person. As Gabrielle Oliver. Because as she stood in what she could term as a dream house, the sheer emptiness within her was indescribable. Deep inside her, in her heart and soul was a blank canvas that try as she might, she couldn't seem to paint with the wonderful emotions of a person successful and happy.

She aspired to write romance, stories that people read and dreamt of living in actuality. Yet she couldn't, because she hadn't experienced it firsthand. She hadn't tasted the dizzying kisses she wanted to write about. She hadn't felt the softness of the masterly caresses she hoped to pour into her stories. Neither had she experienced the passionate nights she attempted to bring out in writing. Nothing.

And that wasn't what bothered her most. That she may never come across the same, never know it, left her shuddering. Her adventure books were doing wonderfully. As she'd decided weeks ago, she'd acquired a perfect house for herself. Her foundation and philanthropic endeavours progressed just fine. Yet, the incompleteness in her intensified, morphing into an endless abyss of sheer loneliness.

Before Rose's and Warren's story, before Gabrielle made a futile attempt at writing romance, everything had been perfectly fine. She'd been in a safe haven, a paradise where a protective bubble carrying her heart in blissful ignorance, asserted her happiness. But then, once she'd returned to her old, plain house, alone, with nothing but excitement for her happily wed friends and a quest for penning down soul-searing, love stories, reality had checked in. She knew absolutely nothing about such intimate affairs.

It wasn't supposed to be an issue, in fact, at first she hadn't made any big deal out of the realisation. But the craving, the desperate yearning sprouting from the depths of her she hadn't an idea she possessed, bombarded her excruciatingly. And now, she had only one desire, to fall in love. Even if it meant crossing seas and oceans in search of it, she would.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a horrid blare that made her dash towards the coffee table situated somewhere in the massive living room, where she'd dumped her phone. She cussed at something cold and liquid that sipped into her white blouse before she groaned, remembering she'd been holding a cup of coffee. Ignoring the awfully huge stain on her crisp blouse, she placed the cup on the coffee table, took the phone and received the call.

"Oliver Gabrielle." She spoke breathlessly. Breathless! And now she was conscious of her weight.

The person on the other side was hesitant to speak. Gabrielle listened at the strained breaths and was about to hung up when a familiar, deep voice said, "I need to see you." If at all she'd mistakened who the voice belonged to before, the man vanquished the doubt. "It's Leon."

***
He was dizzy and nervous.

Dizzy from his frantic pacing and perhaps overthinking and nervous from reconsidering ever calling Gabrielle. Of course it wasn't Gabrielle that had him on his nerves end-Leon would never be jittery over a woman- it was that she'd clearly, with actions, made it known she was avoiding him. Leon had no problem with keeping his distance but he needed her...now.

Gabrielle was his sister's closest friend. In fact, the two were like sisters, had been for the past eleven years. That, and the fact that Rose, his sister had always tried to play matchmaker with them, making sure to extend as many invitations to Gabrielle as possible; to their vacations, homes and especially his sister's newly acquired mansion, always made their paths cross. Leon had began to notice Gabrielle's uneasiness whenever their visits to see Archie -who was Leon's six months old nephew and Gabrielle's godson- collided. Those visits had then dwindled immensely on Gabrielle's part and Leon couldn't help but blame himself for it.

He knew it was his fault because he'd never been on Gabby's good book. How could he be when he'd awfully teased her about her meek appearance and those glasses he suspected were older than both their ages combined? As a man, he'd been very much aware of her womanly affections towards him. But as the brother of her best friend, he'd adamantly denied the possible existence of those unneeded affections. Leon was a predator of some sort and would have quickly taken advantage of her emotions towards him and had his wicked way with her but he'd never had a problem shunning those thoughts whenever they surfaced.

Partly because Gabrielle was like a sister to him- or so he convinced himself- and partly because she'd always been so innocent and shy, which were two irksome characters Leon detested in a woman he sought involvement with. He preferred his women brazenly expressive in whatever topic, wild in bed and noncommittal. Which unfortunately were the exact opposite of Gabrielle's traits. Leon couldn't shake off the feeling she was too prudent and required pillow talks and cuddling after gentle lovemaking and incessant reassurances of how a fool loved her and thought her the most beautiful of them all.

He cringed at his line of thoughts. If he were to be honest with himself, for once not be overly picky and what his sister thought was egotistical, he couldn't help imagine himself in that 'situation' of a lovesick fool. Especially for Gabrielle. She was decidedly beautiful and Leon thought she was the kindest soul he'd ever met after his late mother. And even though his past -and current- mistresses differed greatly from sweet Gabrielle, not only characteristically but also physically, she was undeniably delectable. He'd be a blind imbecile not to notice her generous behind and those wondrous curves. He'd once been flush against those full globes on her chest and from then on he'd always wondered about them.

Shaking his head whilst erupting a disbelieving chuckle, he marvelled at how one abundantly blessed woman could be so unaware of her own perfection. Obviously she was a sight to behold and a perilous predicament for the men she encountered. Leon had noticed those hungry looks they'd given her when they'd once had a disastrous dinner upon his conniving sister's arrangement.

But he wasn't one for a fool's fate. Falling in love and dedicating oneself to one, boring woman was for fools and Leon Mayor wasn't one. Once when that possibility had confronted him, he'd been able to come out unaffected. The woman, Debra Sylvester, had been nothing more than a tool for vengeance against the man that had hurt Leon's sister and nothing more. Even when the memory of her had bombarded him for far much longer than he cared to admit, he'd eventually forgotten about her. She was no one special, just worthwhile in bed which was why she'd been memorable.

Otherwise, Leon was too smart to fall prey to any clever woman's trap. Not even the angelic Gabrielle. His call to her was for his own benefit and mindless of how brutish that made him, he intended to exploit fully her weakness for him.

Love or whatever it was that fools felt for other humans.

***
A/N

Leon though, smh. But Gabby is so depressed and I can't wait for her to emerge out of it stronger than ever before. And Leon needs her for something. Read on to find out what.

A small reminder to please vote. It's as easy as tapping that little star icon at the end of the chapter.