chapter forty

Seemingly everyone was happy and settled in their lives and it was her joy to witness it all. Although it had taken so much struggle and a series of unpleasant events, it wasn't as cloudy anymore and the sun seemed to shine brighter, the lawns were more lush and the air felt fresher. After a long but lovely day spent aiding in the production of her book into a film, she'd gone home where after a long soak in warm, scented water, she'd adorned a long, silk, flowery robe and fluffy sandals before settling in the living room by the crackling fire place with no one but the company of a bottle of wine.

It was quiet, too quiet as Warren and Rose after Salvatore was found had returned home the previous week but had been kind and generous enough to allow her stay in the grand mansion that in her lonesome appeared to be the size of a castle. Impressive was an understatement of the architectural masterpiece with its tall pillars and massive, classic, chandeliers and unconventional furniture and she would have it to herself until the producing of the film ended.

Although there were people employed for the upkeep of the place, they mostly retreated to the quarters as soon as their work for the day was done and they always were by the time she got home. It was a wee lonely but the serenity gave her solace and time to reflect on her life. Plan for it.

As soon as she was done assisting André and his team execute the book into a desirable movie, she'd be off to the US where she felt she had neglected very important people there. There was Archibald, the father she never had who she had no doubt fretted for her than was necessary. Helena, who had married Archibald in an impromptu wedding that had they been any younger, Gabrielle would have concluded it was because she was pregnant but she knew better and the two must have just adored each other too much to stay apart. And not forgetting the children in her home. Albeit the management was excellent with the leadership of Helena, she liked to be actively involved because those little ones validated her existence  and gave her a purpose.

Children were beautiful and after being closely involved in Archie's -Rose's son - life, she knew she wanted one. But unlike her wonderful best friend or Leon who had surprisingly made up with Debra, Gabrielle's baby wouldn't have a father. Perhaps she would have an artificial insemination because the man she would have wanted to father her child had simply vanished.

Gabby didn't blame Oscar at all. He'd been through so much and the recent arrest of his mother for the murder of his father must have been difficult for anyone, even a man as strong as him. She wondered who between them was better off; her who was orphaned or him whose mother rotted in jail for something so unspeakable. She'd tried to see him, to perhaps offer her condolences and support but he had been nowhere to be found and she resorted to being acquiesced that perhaps he had no interest to be found or he'd flown back home for his father's send off.

Either way, her heart ached for him. He didn't deserve any of the pranks the world was pulling on him. He was kind and gentle and with a heart so big and golden that the love he'd once shared with her would forever be treasured despite not being meant to be. For them, there was always a hinderence, a barrier from being together and she'd conceded that a brief, half-explored love was all they could ever have.

Admitting that to herself only worked to sadden her, regretful tears cascading down her face. The feeling of her heart being scraped out was so tangible and excruciating. She wiped the tears only for more to fall and make her vision blurry so that the fire  before her was a yellow, indistinguishable object before her eyes.

Then she heard his voice calling her, beckoning to her with a tenderness and yet roughness only he could exude. "Gabrielle, I'm here. It's me, my love." He was saying.

But she wouldn't look. It was just her mind playing dirty tricks on her, a figment of her imagination. A phantom she needed to kill so that it couldn't torture her anymore. Quickly she filled the glass of wine and set to chug it down to the last drop but her hand wouldn't move as another clumped atop it.