Chapter 51

Clarke's POV

After we hang up the painting in Madi's room, the three of us, really five since Dalul and Lupita seem to want to follow us around, head down to the throne room. Madi hesitates when she sees what room we're heading into. Dalul noses at her leg and I want to reach out but I'm not sure if that'll make her more uncomfortable.

"If you do not want to, we do not have to show you this room. Alright?" Lexa murmurs and I swear I fall for her a little more.

Madi nods. "Alright. I would like to see it."

"You're sure?" I ask softly. "We don't want to force you to do anything you don't want to."

Madi nods. "I am sure."

I walk inside first with Lexa and we both turn to look at Madi, who hesitantly steps inside the room. We silently let her look around, and it seems like she's searching for something.

"There is no one else here," Madi remarks.

"Yes, there usually isn't unless there's a meeting or a ceremony," I say.

Madi looks somewhat perplexed as she blinks. "Oh. That is different. Why are there two thrones? There is only one Heda."

My mouth drops open slightly. Ah. She must have left before I became Hedatu. Or Nia never mentioned me. "One is for Lexa, the other is for me."

Madi frowns, studying me intently. "Why?"

"Because I'm Hedatu. The second Heda."

Madi squints. "How? There has only been one before."

"Um, well at first it started as a nickname people chanted as I arrived back in Polis after dealing with the Maunon. You know what I did there right?" I would assume that she's been told at least that much.

Madi nods. "Yes, the caretaker told us about that."

"Okay. So Lexa thought I should try to become a true Heda. She thought I could, so I did and passed the trial thing to become the first ever Hedatu."

Madi looks impressed then seems to remember something. She shakes her head slightly and falls onto her knees in front of us. "I apologize, Hedatu. I did not know who you were or that it was possible for there to be more than one Heda. Please forgive me."

My heart breaks for her. These words come out robotically, like she has pleaded for forgiveness too many times to remember to put emotion, let alone hope, in her voice. Dalul sniffs at her bowed face while Lupita lies on her legs that are outstretched behind her, purring.

"There's nothing to forgive, sweetheart. It's okay that you didn't know. I didn't exactly tell you."

I hold out my hand and Madi eyes it hesitantly, slowly reaching out to place her hand on mine. I help her up, carefully keeping minimal contact between us.

"I promise Madi, I'm not mad."

She lets go of my hand, but doesn't yank it back. She nods like she understands but I'm not sure she quite trusts us yet. With what she's gone through, I don't exactly blame her.

"Would you like to sit on one of our thrones?" Lexa asks, thankfully changing the subject.

Madi gives us a skeptical look. "Am I allowed to?"

"We give you permission, so yes," Lexa answers.

Madi walks over to the thrones, looking back at us when she reaches the steps up to them. We nod our permission and I take Lexa's hand in mine. Madi steps up and sits daintily on Lexa's throne. I smile softly, resting my head on Lexa's shoulder.

She looks happy, and she looks even happier when Dalul jumps up onto my throne. Madi laughs as Dalul sits properly, her tongue lolling out as she looks at Madi. She giggles when Lupita lazily leaps into her lap, curling up and yawning.

***

"Guess who's back bitches!!" Raven shouts as she throws our doors open for them to smack against the walls. She whoops loudly and I groan.

I open my eyes and blink the sleep from them. I squint at the clock I installed near the bed so that Lexa can't trick me into getting up early.

"Float off, Rae. It's one in the fricking morning," I groan.

"I thought you wanted to see my puppies."

I can practically see her pout, even with my eyes closed. Like usual, the only light in here is from Lexa's candle collection.

"Not at one in the bloody morning," I grumble. "Go to your room and go to bed."

"Yes Mom." And now I can practically see her sticking out her tongue at me.

Raven lets out a soft "Oof" that isn't something she's goofing off about. I open my eyes and sit up, meaning Lexa is definitely going to wake up. That woman, when she's tired like she was last night (I kept her up), sleeps like the dead. When she's next to me in the Hedas Tower, at least.

Madi has what looks like a thick stick in her hands, the long side pressed against Raven's stomach. "Who are you and what are you doing yelling at the Hedas?"

While they're both distracted, I quickly pull on one of Lexa's nearby nightgowns. I walk over as I hear Lexa stir and begin to get up. I toss a nightgown to her, hoping she's awake enough to put it on so she doesn't scar the child we've taken in and one of our best friends if she gets up.

"It's okay, Madi. This is Raven, she's one of Lexa and I's best friends. She's been away for a while, so I guess she got excited to see us again. She's one of Anya's girlfriends," I explain.

Madi nods and lowers the stick. How the heck did she even get that?

"Go back to bed, sweetie." Lexa murmurs sleepily from behind me. I look back to see that thankfully she had put on the nightgown. "We can talk about this in the morning when we are all more awake."

Madi nods. "Goodnight."

She gives Raven a curious look before turning to head back to her room. Raven just stares at her in shock until she disappears from her line of sight.

She turns to us. "What the f*ck! I leave you guys alone for a few weeks and now you have a kid!"

Next chapter, this continues ;) Fun first meeting between Raven and Madi, right? I'm currently on my way to see Justice League with my family and I'm excited! I mean, it's directed by a man and there are definitely some things I know I'll be rolling my eyes at... But I can't wait to see Wonder Woman again (cue heart eyes)! Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!