Chapter 98

Lexa's POV

"Is it always this busy in Polis?" Abby asks.

"It is always busy, yes, but it has not been this busy since the week the Coalition was agreed on by all the clans. Everyone is here to see their Hedas marry," I explain.

Abby lets out a breath, looking surprised. "I mean, I knew this would be big, but... There are so many people!"

"And even more camping outside the walls," I chuckle. "Not even Polis can hold as many people as are expected to come. The day of our wedding, it will be a miracle if there is enough space on the streets for people to move."

"Gods. Is that why I've seen so much security?" Abby asks curiously.

"Yes. There will be a lot of people here. Even while we are trying to search carts and find the dangerous people trying to enter, there will still be some who will try to start trouble. It is to keep the people safe. And if it helps ease the minds of my advisors, that is a bonus."

Abby laughs, an unexpected sound but a pleasant one nonetheless. "Your advisors constantly worry about your safety too?"

"Yes. Of course, my safety is a concern of mine as well, but I think that if some of my advisors got their way, I would stay high in the Hedas Tower like that princess Clarke told me about, Cinder Bella."

"Wrong princess, you're thinking of Rapunzel. She was forced to stay up in her tower." Abby corrects me.

"And a man climbed her hair." I nod. "I do not understand that part. Why did he climb up her hair? Was that not painful? And what good did that do? Then they are both stuck high in the tower."

Abby continues smiling and shrugs. "I don't know. It's an old story, I guess logic doesn't apply to it." We walk in silence for a moment before something seems to occur to Abby and her lips turn down slightly. "If there is going to be so many people here, how are they all going to hear your vows?"

"There is a chance that not all will be able to hear. However, Raven has been working on building some speakings."

"Speakers?"

I nod. That sounds more like what she called them. "She said that she can run them on the power of the sun and she is going to put them around the city. We are also going to have someone record our words, a person specifically at our wedding to write down everything. We have received many requests from towns, villages, and cities in every clan to have a record of it, so after the wedding, there will be a large team that will transcribe our words over and over again so everyone can know what we say at our wedding."

"That's a lot of pressure to say the right thing. Do you have your vows figured out?"

"For the most part, yes. Though I have a feeling I will end up throwing them away and improvising the day of," I admit.

Abby laughs again. "That's what Jake and I ended up doing as well. It works out well and is always more memorable than memorized lines."

"I hope that will be the case with me as well," I say. We walk in silence, slowly making our way back towards the Hedas' Tower. "Are you ready to meet Destiny?"

Abby's expression brightens with excitement. "My second granddaughter! Yes, I am! And as for tonight's dinner, are we all eating together?"

I nod. "Yes, it will be a family dinner."

Abby looks like she is not quite certain if I am answering her question or not. "What I mean is will Raven, Anya, Luna, and Lucas be there as well?"

"As I said, it will be a family dinner. Of course they will be there."

Abby's smile softens. "You're a good person, Lexa. I'm glad Clarke found you."

"I am glad for that as well."

***

Abby seems almost nervous as we ride the elevator up to the floor the throne room is on, which is where Clarke said she would be with Madi and Destiny. She fiddles with a stray piece of string on her sleeve, staring at the elevator doors with an almost blank look.

"She will love you," I say. My breaking the silence is a surprise to her and I watch as her muscles tense briefly before relaxing. "Destiny is nervous about meeting you too."

Abby gives me a thankful smile. "Thank you."

I nod, knowing that she probably does not want to talk a lot about this. I respect her silent request for quiet. The elevator door opens and I gesture for her to exit first. Abby takes in a deep breath before stepping out. I walk out after her and lead her to the throne room. The guards nod respectfully to us and open the doors.

Inside, Clarke is writing something down at the table while Madi and Destiny seem to be drawing. They all look up as we enter and I watch as beautiful smiles light up all their faces. Clarke is the first to get up, followed quickly by Destiny and then Madi. Destiny waddles quickly over to me and I bend down to scoop her up in my arms, smiling at her happy face. She presses a small hand to my face and then looks over to Abby as Clarke and Madi approach us.

Clarke leans in, careful not to press her weight against Destiny as she kisses me briefly. She pulls back and grins at her mom.

"Hey, mom. It's good to see you again."

"It's good to see you too." Abby says, pulling her daughter into a tight hug. "Hey, Madi."

Madi smiles at her, raising her hand in a small wave. "Hello."

Abby's eyes move over to Destiny, who's still in my arms. "You must be Destiny. Hello, I'm Clarke's mother."

Destiny looks at Abby with wide, curious eyes.

Next chapter, more of this! Hey guys, guess what I found under a bed at my housekeeping job? A butt plug. Engraved with Fifty Shades of Grey... I can't make this up haha. Anywho! Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!