Chapter 63

Clarke's POV

The next day, we finish up packing and then head out. This time is different than the other times we've traveled together because we have Madi now. And she isn't used to horses or being on them, not yet. The first day of our ride ends up being us helping Madi stay calm atop her horse.

Madi's horse is smaller than ours, but the stable master in Polis assured us she's the best steed for Madi. She's well-tempered and calm, and is apparently used often for young or inexperienced riders.

That fact reassures me, but remembering Madi's face when she stepped into the stables will stick with me for a while. She looked torn between being terrified of the large creatures and in awe of them. Knowing she likes to know about things she's scared of, like the elevator, Lexa and I talk to her about horses. And since we're not the most knowledgeable about them, with Madi's consent we called over the stable master again so he could talk to her about them.

After he talked her through how to get on horses and how they'll react depending on where they're walking and what to expect, Madi says she's ready. So he grabbed a step stool and talked her through how to get up on the horse. Her first time getting on a horse ended up a lot better than my first attempt.

Anyway, Madi is getting better with horses. She's still not completely comfortable with them, but she can get off and on hers without too much trouble. Which is more than I could say about myself when I was just starting out.

Since we're bringing the pets, Luna gets to ride this giant horse named Macaw that pulls the wagon with the cages the pets are in. I call the horse Big Mac, and it's caught on in our group enough that that's what we call him. Luckily, Big Mac doesn't mind.

It's interesting, this trip. It is already, what with the whole reason behind the trip. But with us traveling with the pets and Madi, it makes it interesting in the best way. We stop every once in a while, more often than we would without them, so the pets and Madi can have a break and use the bathroom if they need to.

At night, instead of just Lexa and I cuddling, sometimes Dalul and Lupita crawl into our tent too and cuddle with us. The first night, Madi hesitantly comes into our tent, flinching when a nearby owl hoots loudly.

"What's wrong, Madi?" I ask, rubbing the sleep from my eyes and sitting up.

"I cannot sleep. I do not like being back out in the forest," Madi admits. She nearly jumps out of her skin when Lupita comes over without her noticing and rubs against her legs.

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. I didn't think it would be hard for you to be back in the forest," I apologize.

"It is okay, Miss Clarke. I did not expect it either." She shuffles her feet. "Um. Is it alright if I stay here tonight? I do not want to be alone."

"Of course," I answer immediately.

Lexa lifts the furs and Madi immediately gets in. Since we aren't staying in one place for a long time, the tent is small, just big enough to sleep in. And instead of having a regular bed, we're sleeping on a blanket on the ground. But apparently it's comfortable enough, or at least the company is, for Lupita, Dalul, and Madi to want to sleep with us.

"You can come closer, strikon (little one)." Lexa says.

Madi is barely on the blanket, the furs barely covering her small body. She's as far away from us as she can be. I can't tell if it's because she wants to be or if she's trying to give us space.

"It is okay," Madi mumbles.

She avoids looking at us and instead stares up at the top of the tent. Her stare is broken by Lupita padding over and sitting on her chest. Madi's face breaks into a wide smile as she reaches up to scratch behind Lupita's ears. Lupita purrs. Madi looks over at us with a conflicted expression.

"Are you certain it is okay for me to be closer? I have been told that I cuddle in my sleep." Madi blushes, the redness of her cheeks barely visible in the darkness of the night.

"As long as you're okay with cuddling with us, then it's fine. I promise." Madi still seems a little hesitant, so I sit up, putting my elbow down beneath me to hold my upper body up. I lean over Lexa, towards Madi. "I'll tell you a secret. You're not the only cuddler here." I wink at Madi, who giggles.

"Are you referring to yourself, Clarke?" Lexa asks, amusement lacing her tone.

"I'm referring to both of us, Lexa. Or have you forgotten all of those morning when you wake up with your head on my chest and our legs so tangled we can barely tell whose is whose?" I ask with a raised eyebrow and a smirk gracing my lips.

"In my defense, your chest makes a wonderful pillow. And I like to steal your warmth at night." Lexa says, kissing my cheek.

"Mm. That's the only readon, huh?" I give Madi a disbelieving look and she giggles again. "Your Commander is a cuddle bunny." Madi breaks into full laughter and I beam at the sound.

Lexa's eyes and face soften but she over-exaggeratedly pouts up at me. "I am no bunny, Clarke. I am the fearsome Heda!"

"Mm. Sorry, babe. You're a cuddle raccoon."

Lexa scowls at the joke at first, but Madi and I's laughter breaks her composure quicker than I thought possible and she starts laughing too.

After the laughter dies down, Madi doesn't need prompting or anything to scoot over and cuddle with us, Lupita having left after the second set of giggles disrupted her sitting spot.

Aww!! I love Madi! And for next chapter, I'll have to look back to see what clan they're going to first! Did I mention that anyway? I can't remember... I'll find out I guess, haha. Anyway! Happy New Year! Hope this one is gayer and better for everyone! :D I started the New Year right, eating chocolate while hanging out with friends I haven't seen for a while, wearing a shirt that says "Girls Girls Girls" and a red and black flannel button-up... Figured I would ping everyone's gaydar ^_^ Yet I think a guy low-key flirted with me? Or wanted to be my friend... I can't tell, I'm terrible at that kind of thing. Sometimes I just want to attach a neon flashing sign that says "I'm a lesbian" when talking to boys so they don't get the wrong idea... Anyway! Thank you all for reading and for your lovely comments! Stay awesome!