Chapter 18

I looked up, out the window. The train was traveling much slower than what it was a few minutes ago. The sound of metal scraping against each other sounded as we took a switch into the yard. "Help me up," Peyton requested. I stood up and grabbed his paw. He had his right paw on the wound and gave a loud growl as I pulled him into an upright position. He grabbed his shirt and slid into it.

"You ok," I asked, stepping back. He nodded and slowly slid off the table. He removed his paw and I looked at the bandages, blood was seeping through a little. "Take it easy..."

"You're my mission, my job is to protect you - not the other way around, I can handle my own. Thank you for getting it out though," he said, offering a small smile.

"As you wish," I nodded.

The train stopped, and some shouting could be heard. I looked out the window to see a fur walking alongside the train. He fixed his hard hat and shouted something to someone further up. After a few minutes, the horn blared, and the train jolted slightly as we began the other way, over a different switch towards the mainline. "We should head to the dorm," he said. I looked over at him, lost in what he had said, until it clicked. He gestured for me to follow him. I nodded and walked with him through the kitchen portion of the carriage and into the second sleeping car. He turned to the first door on the left, tapped a button on it, put his paw on it and it slid open. I followed him into the compartment.

It was like how I expected it to be. It was small, a bunkbed, a small table that came out from under the window and a chair. Like three-year-old I mentally was, I crawled up to the top bunk and lied back. The bed was nearly rock hard, but honestly, I found stiff beds more comfortable for my back? Lowkey loved sleeping on the floor as a kid? He took a seat in the chair, his eyes focusing on the scenery.

"May I be of use sir," Vilar chimed. I had totally forgotten that I had Vilar with me.

"

"For what?"

"While your work on Mr. Tallsbridge was impressive, I could still fully heal him, he will need it. Something is going to happen when we make the stop up in Rahway. I'm not sure what though,"

"Should I tell them?"

"No, it's a... here's a joke – gut feeling."

"What..."

"Because I don't have – never mind, let me do my work," he said.

I sprung up in the bed and acted like I had just remembered something. "You ok," Peyton asked.

"I'm brilliant! I just remembered a way I could heal you faster!" Peyton reluctantly rose a brow. "What?"