Chapter 20

We arrived at the north portal of the tunnel where I applied the brakes, the train rolling to a stop before a green signal. We looked down the tunnel – pitch black. We jumped a bit when a northbound express rocketed out the other tunnel. "Eagle 2252, this is dispatch. You have an all clear through the tunnel to your base in Washington – Alexandria. Why have you stopped," the radio crackled.

I picked it up and replied, "We have valid reason to believe our trains journey through here is being targeted, we won't move till it's inspected." I looked up at Nikita, both brows raised, waiting for an answer.

"I'm sorry Eagle 2252, we can't allow that, we have five other southbound trains in close proximity of you. We are not liable and able to afford a grid lock on... a hunch?"

"It's not a hunch-"

"-Either way, if it gets you moving, back up to the point, we'll direct you into the northbound tunnel," Dispatch cut me off.

I looked up at the tunnel. There was a good ten feet between the two portals. Might be enough to protect us from a blast... I flipped the radio and replied, "Roger, Eagle 2252, over and out," I said and hung it up.

"Copy. Dispatch out."

I switched the train in reverse and gave three blows of the horn and slowly backed it up to the points. Once the switch came to view, out from under the engine, I pulled the brake. The switch was almost immediately thrown, and we started into the north tunnel. My goal was to get through it as quickly as possible. The speed was jumping as we began through the switch. 30mph ... 40mph ... 50mph ... I blew the horn again and we began into the tunnel. The lights on the nose and the distant lights in the tunnel lighting our way. The cab swayed as the train bounced over the old rails.

A beam came out from no where and I jumped. It was just a crew of worker-furs startled by the speeding train. I pushed the throttle forwards a little more, the engines humming loudly. The track leaned inwards to the right, as did the engine as we entered a curve. As we cleared the bend, the light illuminated a fur, standing on the middle of the line. He was holding something in his paw, that was extended out. I blew the horn. He didn't budge.

"Blue! Stop the train!"

I squinted and looked further down the line. Some blinking red lights. I looked up at the passing walls.

"We gotta go faster," I panicked.

"What? Why?"

"They played us. They knew we'd want to switch tracks in the case we found out Troy's stupid riddle. I bet you both of the tunnels are lined to blow, and he's gonna blow them, whether we hit him or not," I replied.

"Oh fuck," Donna groaned.