Chapter 14: Creation

3 Hours Later...

A loud siren blared out of the incubation pod as a red light flashed on every computer in the room. Indominus was jarred to say the least.
"What?" She said. Something had gone wrong. She rushed to one of the computers and checked the process of the machine, and saw what she dreaded. The pod was malfunctioning. It was not meant to create an exact copy of a being, and with only one genetic code to copy, it was searching for another code that didn't exist. Because it couldn't find one, the system was glitching.
"No... no, no, no, it's not working!" Indominus hissed. With all her intelligence, she had no idea how to solve this problem. Finally, she considered only one other option. She grabbed a syringe and jammed it into her arm, drawing her own blood into it. She quickly emptied the blood sample into the same machine she had used before. She doubted it would work, but she had to try. To her surprise, the alarm stopped. She stared at the pod in absolute silence. The red light turned off, replaced with a green one. It worked; the clone was finished. Indominus sighed a breath of relief. But with the error that had happened, she doubted it would look exactly like Godzilla. This wasn't a problem, as long as it had his powers. She cautiously approached the machine, hesitating to press the button to expose the tube. After a deep breath, she pressed the button. Immediately, she was horrified. The clone looked nothing like Godzilla. The skin was only barely formed over top of the muscle and bone. Black scales covered the hands and feet, though other than that they looked somewhat normal compared to Godzilla. The chest and stomach were almost fully formed, but the ribs were nearly completely exposed. The face was the most horrific part. There was practically no skin on the face, with the teeth nearly completely exposed, covered only slightly by flaps of flesh barely resembling a mouth. It had thin eye lids, barely covering the sunken-in eyes. A small amount of black hair grew at the top of the head. The fluid drained, leaving the clone alone in the pod. Indominus sighed. She had failed. The other raptors ran in soon after.
"We heard a loud noise. Is everything okay..." Blue trailed off as she saw the abomination in the pod. None of the raptors could speak, except for Charlie, who simply muttered "Ew."
"Yes, unfortunately this clone has failed." Indominus growled. "I'd explain it, but you wouldn't understand. I suppose we could try again... wait..."
She looked back at the clone and stared intently at it. She noticed it appeared slightly different from before.  The scales on the arms and legs were disappearing, being replaced by regular skin. As she looked closer she saw this happening right before her eyes. The clone was fixing itself. Slowly but surely, it was evolving. A grin reappeared on her face.
"Never mind." Indominus said. "This wasn't a failure after all. This creature can adapt and evolve on its own. We didn't just create a clone, we created a new species!"
The other raptors didn't understand, just as Indominus predicted. But Blue noticed something. While Indominus was angry at the humans because they tried to play God by creating new species, she was doing the exact same thing by creating this clone. Blue said nothing, but the thought stuck in her mind. She and the others watched as the Indominus pressed another button on the pod. It hissed as steam shot out. The clone's eyes shot open. Its mouth opened and it let out a horrific shout as it fell forward. The pod door opened and it fell to the ground on its hands and knees. It began panting in a low guttural voice. The raptors stepped back in fear, but the Indominus stood her ground. She placed a hand on the clone's back.
"Shh, it's alright." She said, attempting to soothe the clone. "I know you must be so confused and scared. A moment ago you didn't exist, and now you do. But it's alright. I will help you."
The clone seemed to understand. Indominus' words seemed to calm it down.
"But first," she said, "I need you to do something for me. Show me your power."
Again, the clone apparently understood. It raised its arm and stared at it. As it did, its body began to glow a crimson colour, obscured by the parts of skin lying over the exposed muscle. However, this seemed to cause it great pain. The red light glowed brighter around the arm, and it let out another guttural shout as more normal skin began to form over the scales. After some time, it stopped glowing, and his arm looked completely normal, albeit with a few scars.
"I see..." Indominus said. "So you can regenerate your flesh, but it causes you great pain. I'm sure this is only the least you can do. You will do nicely." She looked up towards at the raptors. "Charlie, Delta, find our new friends some clothes."
The two nodded and left the room, while Blue and Echo continued to stare at the clone in shock. Indominus helped it up onto its feet, and they saw that it was taller than Godzilla, by a few inches at least. It took a few staggering steps, but eventually it was able to stand on its own, even walk slightly. Blue and Echo were still deeply disturbed by this new creature.
"Indominus... this is horrific." Echo said. Blue knew that if Echo had a problem with this, it had definitely gone too far.
"What the humans did to us is just as horrific." Indominus shot back. "This clone is a representation of our hatred towards them."
"I think you mean your hatred." Blue muttered under her breath. Indominus froze and glared at Blue, who in turn looked down at her feet and crossed her arms.
"What was that?" Indominus growled. She let go of the clone and marched over to Blue. "Repeat what you just said."
"...Nothing." Blue muttered, glaring back up at her. The two stayed like this for a while, staring intently into each others eyes. Suddenly, Indominus relaxed. She smirked and lowered her eyelids, placing a clawed finger underneath Blue's chin.
"Oh, I see what's going on here." She said. "You're not used to being the follower. You're trying to fight for dominance."
Blue said nothing as the mood in the room got more and more tense. She tried to look away, but Indominus grabbed her chin and forced her to look at her.
"Well, just so you know, the last person who challenged me for dominance was my sister." She continued. Her claws poked deeper and deeper into Blue's skin. "Do you want to know what happened to my sister?" Blue was getting extremely uncomfortable now. The Indominus didn't stop. She leaned in close, making sure that Blue heard every word she said.
"I ate her." She hissed, pronouncing every syllable individually.
The claw on her thumb drew blood from Blue's cheek. As it trickled down her face, Indominus finally let go. Blue was no longer as confident as she was before.
"Do you understand me?" Indominus asked, going back to her calm demeanour. Blue simply nodded and looked at the ground. She was too afraid to say anything. "Good. Glad we had this talk." Indominus responded. Soon after Charlie and Delta returned.
"We couldn't find much." Delta said. "Just an old lab coat and some ripped up pants."
"I don't know why clothes are even a thing. Being naked is way more fun." Charlie shrugged. The others ignored her as Delta handed Indominus the clothes. She helped the clone get dressed. The clothes were old, ripped, and far too small, but they would work for now. The Indominus also placed bandages over the clone's face and other exposed parts of flesh.
"Just some extra protection until the skin fully heals." She explained.
"Hey, what happened to you?" Charlie asked, referring to Blue, who was wiping her blood off her cheek. When she saw Charlie staring at her, she looked away. Indominus smirked wickedly.
"Let's just say knows her place now." She said. Delta found this amusing, and shared in Indominus' smirk. Charlie had already lost interest, and thought up another question.
"Hey, what're we gonna call this guy?" She asked. Indominus raised her eyebrow in thought.
"I... don't know." She admitted. "I suppose we can't just call him 'clone'. What do you all think?"
"We should name it after Godzilla." Blue suggested. "So... how about 'New Godzilla'?"
The others seemed to agree, but Indominus had another idea. "Maybe. But the word 'new' sounds a bit too artificial. I want this creature to have a name like us." She began pacing. "The humans called us Gijinka, which is Japanese for 'human-like'. So we should use a Japanese word in his name too." She thought for a moment. She knew very little Japanese, but she knew one of the words for "new" was "shin". But "shin" also meant other things, including "evolved." This was a perfect name.
"How about... 'Shin Godzilla'?" She suggested. The others enthusiastically agreed. Even though the others didn't know Japanese, they knew the name was perfect.
"Sh...shin... Godz... zilla..." The clone muttered. Everyone in the room stared at him. They had no idea the clone was capable of speech, at least not yet. His voice sounded much like Godzilla's, but deeper and raspier. Indominus immediately ran over to him.
"Yes, that's your name. You are Shin Godzilla." She said.
"M-my name... Shin Godzilla." He repeated. He was speaking almost perfectly now. Indominus guessed some of her own intelligence had transferred into him during the cloning process, allowing him to pick up on language quickly.
"That's right." She replied. "And you will help us usher in a new generation."
She stood in front of the group and looked at them all. "The age of humanity is over. It's time for our creators to face extinction."