Guy And Marian Get Married

I walked into the chapel on my father's arm, staring straight ahead. There he was, standing at the altar, dressed in his black leather. Much as I had dreaded this day, my breath caught a little as I brought my eyes to his face. He was gazing at me with what looked like a mixture of pride, hunger, and something I couldn't name. It couldn't be some more tender emotion, could it? He was the Sheriff's right-hand-man; his henchman. All he felt was allegiance to the Sheriff and bloodlust, right?

It was amazing that I was able to walk into the chapel, and stand by Guy's side, at all, after what he had done. My identity as the Night Watchman was still safe, but I remained weak after Guy's curved blade had cut into my side. I had almost died in the woods, but Djaq and the doctor had been able to save me. And for what, to marry the man who had almost killed me?  Of course he didn't know it was me, but it still stung.

My father gave me over to Guy of Gisborne, placing my hand on his black-clad arm. I took a deep breath and turned toward the priest. It felt as if Guy was trembling beneath my fingers, but that couldn't be. Maybe it was my own trembling I felt. I definitely felt him staring at me, and glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. He still had that expression on his face, but it looked a little softer now -- not much, but enough to put me a little at ease.

The ceremony went by in a haze. I had planned to run away with Robin, but found myself standing there and repeating the vows, placing the ring on his finger, and accepting the ring on mine. Before I knew it, the priest was pronouncing us husband and wife, and Guy was smiling jubilantly and lifting my veil. I couldn't share his smile. I felt as if I had just been given a life sentence. He leaned in to give me a kiss, brushing his lips against mine almost hesitantly, and I felt something electric zap between us. I froze, expecting more, but he left it at that. His expression darkened a bit at my seemingly cold response, but he turned, urging me to do the same, and escorted me out of the chapel into the reception area.

Many people came up to congratulate us on our nuptials, and I responded as best I could, but I could feel weakness overtaking me and a headache coming on. Standing for extended periods of time was not something I could really do yet. He must have noticed, because he brought me to a chair in the shade, sat me down, and brought me some cold water. I looked up at him in surprise, thanking him for the drink. His expression was unreadable as he sat next to me, placing his hand on my arm. He rubbed it softly, almost caressing it, as he continued to thank people for their congratulations.

At one point, he brought me a plate of food and urged me to eat. I did have a little, but my growing nervousness was greater than my hunger. As the afternoon wore on, I started thinking about what the evening would bring, and I wasn't eager to start that part of my married life. I had grown up with Robin, and grown to love him, and would much rather have married him. It was not to be, however. I had married Guy to protect myself and my father against the Sheriff. Guy insisted it was the only way and, knowing the Sheriff, I believed him. So here I was, about to spend my wedding night with the wrong man.

I was also concerned that he would discover the bandage covering my wound, which was still healing, and discover the truth. What would he do when he found out? Turn me in to the Sheriff? Kill me himself? As much as he claimed to feel for me, I knew he hated the Night Watchman. Would the hate win out over his more tender feelings? Or would he forbid me from being the Night Watchman? My father and Robin had both tried that, with no success, so there was no chance Guy would succeed, either.

As it grew dark, people started stopping by to say their farewells. Finally all the guests had left, and my father took his leave as well, giving me a last, worried glance and a hug goodnight. He hadn't wanted me to go through with the wedding either, but like me he saw no other way. He told me he loved me, and got in the carriage to go back to his house (not our house any more), and I was alone with my husband for the first time. I felt him behind me, his warmth emanating in waves, but he wasn't touching me.