Part 8

"I can't believe it," Abigail said after the shocked silence that had filled the space after Sorcha finished speaking. They were over at Barron's house with Bishop, Calleach, and Sorcha's cousins. Abigail stared at her in shock.

"Believe it."

"Why did you never tell me?"

Sorcha shrugged at the hurt in Abigail's voice. "I didn't want to lose you as a friend and I knew that you'd take out a personal vendetta against my family."

"You're damn right I would have. Barron and Bishop would have backed me up too."

The brothers nodded as Barron reached over and laid a soothing hand on Abigail's knee. Bishop was fuming with anger. "You should have told us. We could have done something." Bishop turned and glared murderously at Sorcha's cousins. "You four could have done something."

Zarr's snort was echoed by Zaranth and Amaranth while Zefora raised an eyebrow at Bishop.

"And what would have had us do Bishop." Zefora demanded. "The four of us have tried countless times to help Sorcha. Even we feel the brunt of Aunt Trina and Uncle Harold's anger and we are nothing but their niece and nephews."

"We tried once sheltering her," Zarr said after Zefora. "It worked while she was with us for the three week vacation we took her on, but it did nothing when we came back. Her parents were mad that she was unable to make dinner with them and meet a young man they wanted her to date."

"Is all you family this way?" Barron questioned as Abigail stared at Sorcha still hurt.

Sorcha shrugged. "Just the American side of my family. My Scottish and Greek relatives are very chill compared to those I see on a regular basis. Why do you think I always jumped at the chance to go over to Scotland or the Mediterranean even though it meant spending more time with my family?"

Bishop shook his head. "You should have told us Sorcha. We would have done our damndest to help you." Bishop looked over at Calleach. "I'm just glad that Calleach was there to finally catch them abusing you."

"Thanks." Sorcha gave Bishop a grateful smile. "I have a feeling that this is going to go to trial."

"Mmm," Zeforas said around her mouthful of beer. She swallowed quickly before she waved her hand at Sorcha to get her attention. "I still have all of those pictures and the journals you gave me during high school."

At Calleach's frown Zefora went on to explain. "During junior high and high school, Sorcha would have me take pictures of the bruises her parents left on her. Sorcha would document everything that they did to her and hide those journals. She finally gave them to me after her sister found one snooping through her room and gave it to Aunt Trina."

"How many pictures and journals do you have?"

Zefora looked at Sorcha who shrugged. "I'm not sure Calleach. I'd have to go dig through one of the boxes in my basement to find them. There are dozens of pictures and a dozen or more journals. I haven't looked at them since Sorcha gave them to me for safekeeping."

"Why did you never report it?"

"Because Bishop," Sorcha sighed as she shifted in her seat next to Calleach. She smiled up at him as he draped an arm around her shoulder. "I've tried multiple times and each time Father paid off the cops. Not only that, but I got punished for telling. You know as well as I how wealthy and well known my parents are. They wanted to keep that façade in place."

The circle of friends was quiet as each was lost in their own thoughts. The fire crackled and sputtered between them as Amaranth and Zaranth added more wood to the fire. Sorcha enjoyed the quiet as she leaned against Calleach. She was just starting to dose when Calleach shook her awake. Sorcha looked up at him sleepily.