Part 11

"Ella called me last night."

The dish that Sorcha was holding clattered in the sink as she turned and started open mouthed at Zefora. They were in Sorcha's kitchen fixing dinner for Calleach and Zefora's brothers. Barron, Beau, and Bishop were coming over a little later to drink.

"Are you kidding me?"

Zefora shook her head. "No, I wish I was but I'm not. I didn't even know that Ella had my phone number."

Sorcha rubbed her forehead with a wet hand. "I think she asked me for it a long time ago." Sorcha lowered her hand. "What did she want?"

"She asked to have dinner with me after church Sunday. She's confused and lost. It sounds like she wants to know more about everything that went on."

"Why doesn't she just ask me?" A shrug was all the answer she got from Zefora. "Let me know how it goes."

"I will. Maybe you and Ella could be sisters again."

"I'd like that." There was a wistful edge in Sorcha's voice. "We acted like sisters when Ella was young. That all changed once she got into school and Mom started spoiling her."

"Have you decided to take Calleach up on his offer?"

Sorcha was glad for the change of subject. She turned around and leaned back against the sink as she wiped her hands on a towel. "I'm strongly considering it. You know that I prefer Scotland to here. I like our Scottish relatives' a lot better than our American ones."

"I'll miss you if you go." The sadness in Zefora's voice pulled at Sorcha's heartstrings. She'd miss her cousin too.

"Calleach's offer wasn't just for me Zefora. Calleach extended it to you, your brothers, and the B boys."

Zefora's mouth dropped open. "You're kidding."

Sorcha shook her head. "Nope. He likes all of you and knows how close we all are. He's even offered to find you all jobs. I guess his family is quite wealthy and owns lots of land."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you." Zefora said as she jumped up and gave Sorcha a ginormous hug. "I've always wanted to live in Scotland."

"I'll tell Calleach."

Zefora clapped her hands. "I can't wait."