Part 10

Court today was going to be the hardest. Today was the day when Abigail took the stand to testify. Sorcha was most nervous about this day. She wasn't' sure why, but she figured it was because she'd been such close friends with Abigail.

"I still can't believe she betrayed me."

Calleach looked over. He brought Sorcha's hand to his mouth. "I know, but today is the last day of trial. Tomorrow we should know the verdict."

Sorcha sighed as she snuggled closer to Calleach as they headed to the court house with her cousins again. They were piled into Zefora's car this time with Amaranth bringing up the rear in his truck. The past ten days had been emotionally draining on Sorcha. She'd be glad when this was all over.

"We're here," Zefora announced in a sing song voice as they pulled up in front of the court house.

"You ready," Calleach whispered.

Sorcha gave him a pained smile. "No, but we might as well get this over with."

People were all over Sorcha as soon as she got out of Zefora's car. Her parents' trial had made the news and it irked her. She just wished that they'd leave her alone, but that was impossible. It didn't help that Ella and some of her parents' friends were doing interviews with the local and state media.

Calleach snaked an arm around Sorcha's waist and led her through the throng of media. Sorcha kept her mouth shut as they fired questions at her. She could hear them asking her cousins for comments, but her cousins refused to answer. Sorcha was proud of them for standing by her.

The courthouse was cool and welcome when Sorcha set foot inside. The days were getting humid out which meant that there was a storm brewing somewhere. Sorcha was beginning to hate the courthouse. It wasn't because of the trial. She didn't mind the trial. What she didn't like was all of the people waiting for a glimpse of her. She was beginning to hate the media. She'd never liked them to begin with, but now her dislike was deepening.

"Relax."

Sorcha couldn't help but smile up at Calleach. "I know. It's just that the media makes my skin crawl."

Calleach chuckled as he leaned over and kissed her on the temple. "Get used to it sweetie. Your family has money and if you decide to accept my offer, then you will be swamped by media in Scotland."

"What offer?" Zefora asked as she slid her hand into Sorcha's.

Sorcha squeezed her cousin's hand and sighed. "Just something that Calleach offered the other day. I'll tell it to you later."

Zefora smiled, but there was a knowing look in her eyes. "I can guess what the offer is, but you never know. I could be wrong."

A snort came from behind them. "You are never wrong."

Zefora laughed at Amaranth's words as she dropped back to talk to him. Sorcha shook her head as they reached the stairs. Calleach held her hand as they climbed the stairs. Ms. Stumps was waiting for them. She gave them a big smile as she shook all their hands.

"Today should go easily. All we have is Abigail's testimony."

"I'm most worried about this one. Who knows what all I've told Abigail over the years."

Ms. Stumps patted Sorcha's arm. "Don't you worry about it. All we can do is listening to her testimony and cross-examine her. I have some very probing questions to ask her."

Sorcha nodded as they filed into the courtroom. Today she was able to sit next Calleach. Calleach held her hand throughout the whole trial.

It was hard looking at Abigail, but Sorcha made herself stare at her former best friend. Abigail refused to look at her. A tale of greed was woven for the jury to hear. The depth of Abigail's involvement went deeper than Sorcha ever thought it could. There were things that had happened that now made perfect sense. Like the one time when Sorcha and Abigail took an impromptu trip to Vegas and somehow her parents' knew about the one guy she flirted with at the casino. Sorcha just thought that maybe one of her parents' friends were there and spotted her doing it. Now she realized that it was Abigail.