Part 18

The day of the party arrived overcast and cloudy with a chance of rain. Cal's home was bursting at the seams with all of the people currently staying at the keep. The halls were constantly crowded.

Everyone seemed to know everyone and it made Sorcha and those with her feel left out. Sorcha didn't let it bother her because she knew that she was an outsider. There was no way that she could remember everyone's names, but she was going to make the effort to learn as many as she could. Ella thought the same thing. In order to help keep names straight, Ella had taken to writing names and characteristics down. It helped a lot and Sorcha went through the list with the others every night.

Ella was in a tizzy about the party. Her hair was up in a loose bun as she ran about the keep dealing with last minute issues. Sorcha had finally managed to wrangle her sister so that she could get ready for the party. Ella fidgeted on the chair in front of her vanity while Sorcha worked on curling her hair.

"Stop fidgeting Ella."

"I'm trying Sorcha, but there are so many things that need to be looked over."

"Nonsense," Zefora said as she studied her reflection in the corner of the mirror. Zefora pulled out a tub of mascara and began applying it. "Everything is done. You are just worrying over nothing."

Ella gave her cousin a sheepish grin. "I know Zefora, but this is what I do."

Sorcha grunted. "Maybe you should get a hold of that one girl who is an interior designer."

"I never thought of that." Ella tapped her chin with her finger. "Wasn't her name Isodel or something along those lines?"

"I believe so." Sorcha finished curling Ella's hair. She laid the curling iron aside and picked up a bunch of bobby pins. Sorcha kept one and stuck the rest in her mouth. Sorcha spoke around the bobby pins as she began pining Ella's hair up. "You went to school for fashion. Interior decorating is about the same thing only with a room. I'm sure these old keeps need a little bit of upkeep."

"I'm ready to dance the night away." Zefora spun away from her cousins so that she could pick up the cute plaid dress that lay stretched across Ella's bed.

"I agree with you on that one. I'm ready to do some dancing with Calleach."

Ella arched an eyebrow as she met her sister's eyes in the mirror. "Is that all you're ready to do."

Sorcha blushed causing Zefora to laugh. "I think you just want to seduce Calleach with that adorable skirt that makes your butt look cute."

"I hate to admit it but you're right. I've been waiting for a reason to wear that miniskirt. I knew there was a reason why I bought it."

"What are you going to wear with it?"

Sorcha pinned a few more curls to the back of Ella's head. "I have two shirts that I have chosen to go with the skirt. I'm just not sure which one would work best."

"What color are they?" Ella asked as she checked out the hair do Sorcha had made for her.

"Um, both are black. I thought that black would go real well with the green and brown plaid of the O'Brien family." Sorcha moved over to the bed and picked up both shirts. "The one on the right is has black fabric roses sewn on the front while the other one has a sheer lacy overlay over a solid black shirt."

Zefora pointed to the black one with fabric roses. "I think that one would be stunning on you. It goes with our family crest."

"I was thinking of wearing this one too." Sorcha tossed the shirts down so that she could change.

Ella popped up from the chair she was sitting on and headed to the closet where she pulled out a skirt shorter than her sister's and a green tank top that she pair with a plaid cardigan.

Zefora was wearing plaid pants and a tan sweater that hugged her curves. "It was ingenious of you Ella to insist on everyone wearing the O'Brien family tartan."

"It goes really well with the McAllister colors." Ella held up the blanket that bore the blue, black, and silver of the McAllister family plaid.

Sorcha grinned at her sister. "That's what I thought the first time I saw what colors the O'Brien's wore."

Zefora came spinning over and grabbed her cousin's by the hands. She spun them around in a circle before ending up in a line dancing a Scottish jig across the room where space allowed. Sorcha laughed gaily as she danced with Zeofra and Ela. She was excited to be doing some authentic Scottish dances. It had been a while since she'd danced traditional dances.

"Do you remember the dance group we always performed with during our summers in Scotland?"

"Of course Ella. That was the only time you and I ever got along."

Zefora laughed as they separated so that everyone could finish getting ready. "I'm just ready to find a hot guy to dance with and then end up in bed with."

Ella and Sorcha laughed. "I think that's what your brothers and the Sinclair boys are going to be doing."

"They have that bet going on rmember."

Ella grinned at Sorcha and Zefora. "I'd say let us do a bet, but Sorcha already has a man."

"You and I could have a bet."

Ella appraised her cousin before she nodded and held out her hand. "Deal."

"I will be judge."

Zefora sighed. "That means there will be no cheating."

"No cheating or sabotaging."

Both Ella and Zefora stuck their tongues out at Sorcha. Sorcha laughed as she walked over to the mirror and began dong her makeup. Ella stepped up behind her and started plaiting her hair. Sorcha threw her sister a grateful look as she went back to outlining her eyes in kohl.

A knock sounded sharply on the door at a quarter till five. Ella skipped over to the door and opened it to show Callaech, Amaranth, and Bishop waiting for them. Ella smiled at them and waved them in.

Bishop whistled as he stepped forward and kissed Zefora on the cheek. "The three of you are going to be the belle of the ball."

Ella laughed as she slipped her arm through Amaranth's and grinned up at her cousin. Amaranth gave her one of his elusive grins. "I would agree with Bishop except that I would say in the whole of Scotland."

Now it was Sorcha's turn to laugh. "The two of you are awful."

Bishop gave Sorcha a cocky grin as he looped Zefora's arm through his. "We're just practicing for when we see some beautiful women tonight."

Calleach shook his head. "You'll find that the O'Brien women are particular in their men."

"We're up for the challenge," Amaranth said as he maneuvered Ella to the door. "Shall we begin?"