Part 34

Bradley alerted Calleach and the others that the Nelson family had called in Interpol and the Scottish police. Sorcha paced the keep nervously waiting for their arrival. Ella and Zefora kept pace with her while all of the men were busy preparing their statements.

"Do you think that we can lie convincingly to them?"

Zefora gave Sorcha an upbeat smile. "I believe we can. The Nelson clan has no proof that Calleach's family is busy siphoning off their money. Hell, they don't even know that you are actually a Hughes instead of a McAllister."

Sorcha nodded. Ella copied her before she took Sorcha's hand and squeezed. "We'll let the men do the talking."

"They'll ask you questions Sorcha since you are acting as secretary."

"Don't remind me Ella. I have hidden all of the real legal paperwork I have done in the hole. I'll be surprised if Interpol finds it down there. The hole is creepy as all get out."

Zefora laughed. "That's because it's a dungeon and nothing is as creepy as a dungeon in an old keep."

Maurice came scuttling down the hallway nervously wringing his hands. "They are here."

Sorcha gave the elderly man a smile. "Thank you Maurice. How about you find the men and then have a sniffer of brandy in your quarters?"

Maurice perked up. "Can I choose which brandy I want?"

Sorcha laughed as she gave Maurice an affectionate pat on the arm. "Yes, but don't drink too much. You're not a spring chicken anymore."

Maurice gave Sorcha a gap toothed smile before he scampered down the hallway in search of Calleach. Once Maurice's footsteps had died away did Sorcha, Ella, and Zefora head down to the study where Maurice had been told to put the detective from Interpol.

A group of three men stood as Sorcha entered the study with her sister and cousin in tow. "Welcome to Keep O'Brien. My name is Sorcha, this is my sister Ella and my cousin Zefora. Is there anything I can do for you?"

The man dressed in a dark gray suit shook the hand Sorcha held out to him. "My name is Detective Marques. These are Detectives Jacobson and Rowh." Detective Jacobson was in a brown suit and he nodded politely as he was introduced. Detective Rowh had on a black suit and his gaze shrewidly watched them.

Sorcha waved the men back to their seats. She sat down facing them while Ella and Zefora settled on two footstools nearby. They acted bored. Ella pulled out a file and began shaping her nails. Zefora watched her with avid interest before she asked if Ella would shape her nails.

The study door opened and Calleach came in with Sorcha's cousins while the Sinclair brothers trailed behind them. Bradley came in surprising Sorcha. Ella brightened and abandoned Zefora's nails so that she could go and snuggle up next to Bradley. She blushed at something Bradley said before she kissed him.

Sorcha introduced Calleach as the owner of the keep before she introduced her family and Bradley. Detective Marques shook hands with Calleach. Jacobson and Rowh remained silent and took everything in. Calleach sprawled into a chair next to Sorcha's while Amaranth leaned casually against Sorcha's chair. His fingers plucked at her hair. Sorcha glared at him before she swatted his hand away.

"What pleasure brings you out here to our wonderful islands?"

Marques cleared his throat and tugged at his collar. "We have received a tip about some money being stolen."

Calleach frowned. "That's terrible news. I will do everything I can to help."

Detective Marques nodded. "A family of high importance in Scotland has come to believe that your family has been stealing their money."