Part 9

A month had gone by since her parents arrest and Abigail's betrayal. Sorcha had kept busy with work and spending time with Calleach. Her cousins had made sure to stay close by and Sorcha was grateful for that. They were able to help delegate questions thrown at her by people around town. Sorcha was tired of all the questions and she was taking her lawyers advice about keeping mum about what had happened.

The day of the trial began. Sorcha was dressed smartly in a pencil skirt, a fitted jacket, and a topaz colored blouse with matching shoes. Zefora had insisted that she buy new clothes for the trial and Calleach had agreed by taking them shopping in Denver. Sorcha looked at herself in the mirror and fussed worriedly with her hair and checked her makeup.

"You look fine," Zefora said as batted Sorcha's hands away from her hair. "Just relax and look confident."

Zefora's eyes met Sorcha's worried ones in the mirror. Zefora hugged Sorcha from behind and even with her heals on Sorcha was still shorter that Zefora. Sorcha turned around and hugged Zefora hard. Zefora rubbed her back and gave her a smile as she pulled away.

"I'm nervous Zefora."

"You have every right to be." Zefora tilted Sorcha's chin up so that she could see her eyes.

"After what has happened over all the years, I would think something is wrong if you aren't nervous. Just remember that the Z squad, Amaranth, and Calleach will be sitting behind you."

Sorcha couldn't help but giggle. "I can't believe that you came up with the name the Z squad for you and your brothers."

A broad grin spread across Zefora's face. "Amaranth wasn't happy when I came up with it since his name starts with an A and not a Z. I told him that if we ever become a band we'll name it Amaranth and the Z Squad. That cheered him up a bit."

A sudden knock on the bathroom door caught their attention. Turning they saw Zarr standing at the door dressed in clothes that would be considered business casual. His riot of dark colored curls was behaving and he had shaved. His strange grey eyes softened as he stepped around the door and gave Sorcha a hug.

"You look amazing cuz."

Tears threatened at all of the kind words fostered upon her. Sorcha wasn't used to compliments and she wasn't quite sure how to take them. Zarr wiped her tears away carefully and framed her face with his hands.

"Don't cry Sorcha. You'll ruin your makeup and I don't want to get my ass handed to me by Zefora today."

Sorcha giggled as Zarr kissed her forehead. "That's better. It saddens me that you have received so few compliments that you have no idea how to handle them."

Zefora wrapped an arm around her brother's waist and leaned against him. "We'll have to remember to compliment her daily."

Zarr wrapped an arm around Zefora's shoulder as he grabbed Sorcha's hand and led them out of the bathroom. "We're all ready to go. Zaranth is getting the truck ready for us. He insisted we all go together." Zarr shrugged. "I think it's because he wants to see how many people can fit comfortably in his new truck."

"Zaranth and his truck." Zefora shook her head. "He's like a woman with shoes."

Zaranth poke his head into the hallway. "Who's like a woman with shoes?"

"You are brother dear."

Zaranth laughed as he stepped back into the living room. "I can't argue with you there."