07 » DOG HOUSE

I look up at the clock which read five minutes before we would be dismissed for next period. My science teacher was explaining a cell cycle project to us, but my mind was on other things. I was thinking about Elena and Tyler. I knew that Tyler activated his curse and the full moon was coming up fast. I felt a connection to him and I was worried about him. When I tuned into the lecture, Mrs. Snieder was pointing to me.

"For this project, you will be partnered with..." Her eyes scanned every student in the room, mentally analyzing them. "The new girl, Scarlet." My eyes widened. I turned around and face her and she had a bright smile on her face.

"Is there any way I could-" She cut me off.

"The project will be due by the end of the week, so make sure you work with your partners every day." I rolled my eyes and placed my head in my hands. This can't be happening.

The bell rung and all of the students quickly filed out of the classroom leaving me and Scarlet there. She walked towards me with a faux smile plastered on her face.

"Looks like she put the two new girls in a group," She said. "When do you want to start on the project? I'm free tonight if you want to come over." She was oddly nice sounding.

"Look, I don't know what game you're playing, but I'm not in the mood. Plus I'm busy tonight anyway." I wasn't a complete lie. I had planned on hanging out with Caroline after school.

"I'm not the one who picked the partners," she shrugged. "I'll give you my number so we can plan this out." She snatched my phone from my hands and began typing in the digits quickly. I rolled my eyes knowing I had to work with her if I wanted a good grade. I took my phone back and marched out of the room with the familiar sensation of my blood boiling.

~=~

Caroline and I were walking towards the basketball court where we saw Tyler and Matt talking. I felt kind of awkward since Matt was technically the reason why Tyler activated his curse. Matt left the conversation and walked towards Caroline and me. Caroline called him over to us.

"How are you?" she asked trying to break the tension.

"I've been better," He stuttered. He looked at me with sad eyes. "I know I haven't talked to you since the party, but I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry about everything that happened."

"I'm cool, I mean I'm not the one who accidentally killed someone," I bitterly chuckled with a lack of humor. An awkward silence fell on us three as Caroline stared longingly into Matt's eyes.

"I gotta- I gotta get to class."

"Okay," Caroline looked at me with pleading eyes. I truly felt bad for her, it wasn't her fault that she had to keep a secret from him.

"Are you two still on the outs?" Tyler passed the basketball between both his hands as we walked up to him.

"Looks like it," I shrugged then looked at Caroline, "It'll be fine, he'll forgive you and then you'll have great make up sex." Both Caroline and Tyler scowled.

"You realize there's almost a full moon?" Caroline asked Tyler, ignoring my comment.

"Vampires don't have enough problems, you want to take on mine?" Tyler said sarcastically.

"Don't get sassy Tyler," I snapped back. "Have you even thought about it? The whole... wolf thing?"

"Do you know what you're going to do?"

"I'll be fine." Tyler nodded, as did Caroline. I looked at both of them with wide eyes.

"Um, no, you won't be fine Tyler. You're a few days from experiencing excruciating pain. You won't be fine."