14 » FAMILY TIES

It's been nearly two weeks since my first transition, which marked two weeks that my parents have been gone. It was awfully quiet around the house, and at first, I enjoyed it, but now, the silence felt deadly. The silence allowed my thoughts to creep up on me, my curiously slowly crippling me.

Ever since Jules told me that I was somehow was related to Tyler, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I kept telling myself that she was lying, but it was suspicious how everything made sense. I wanted to get to the bottom of it, but there was nothing online to help. Now Tyler and Jules have disappeared and I have no one to contact about my role in the Lockwood family.

"So what do you think?"

"Huh?" Caroline snapped me out of the daze I was in.

"You weren't listening to anything I said, were you?" Caroline narrowed her eyes at me. "Now that I think about it, you've been dazing out a lot lately. Are you okay?"

"Yes Caroline, I'm fine," I said it sarcastically as if it were obvious. To be honest, there were so many things going on that I didn't even know what was wrong.

Caroline rolled her eyes. "Fine, don't tell me. As I was saying, I want to get a chance to talk to Matt but I don't know if he still hates me or not. Hell, I don't even know if we're still dating!"

"Well, I think whenever you get the chance, you should talk to Matt. Communication is the key to a good relationship." My eyes landed on the Donovan boy. "Speaking of..."

I took Caroline's hand and led her to Matt, who was putting up a poster on the brick wall. I nudged her slightly with my elbow, motioning for her to talk to Matt.

"Hey, Matt." Caroline waved a sheepish hand to the football player.

"Hey," Matt responded, barely giving her any eye contact.

Caroline observed the contents of the poster Matt put up, advertising that a band was playing at the Grill tonight.

"Live band?"

"Yeah, business has been a little slow. The Grill's trying to stay afloat." Matt gave a seldom answer, making me shift my weight on the awkwardness that was slowly approaching.

"Aren't we all?"

"Have you heard from Tyler? His question made me tune in to the conversation.

"Not a peep. You?"

"No, not since he stopped by the Grill to talk, and I've left messages on his cell phone."

I stepped next to Caroline, inserting myself into the conversation. "He stopped by to see you? What did he say?" I wanted to know if there was any other way to contact him.

"Not much, really. I mean...I think to say goodbye without really saying goodbye. I just didn't know it."

"And that's all he said?" Caroline asked, with a cryptic tone of her voice.

"Yeah. Yeah, that's all he said, Caroline. Why? I mean, is there something you want to tell me?"

I tuned out of the conversation once I assumed an argument was about to ensue. I needed to find a way to learn about my old life, the only way I could do that is if I talked to Jules. I didn't have her number, but Tyler was with her. The next option was more research. Maybe books can do what computers can't. I'll try the school library.

"I got to go, Caroline," When I snapped back to reality, Matt was gone and Caroline had a solemn expression on her face.

"Matt left me and now you?" Caroline made a pouty face which only made me roll my eyes.