17 » DECADE DANCE

It was hard to sleep last night. I mean, it's not like I ever had a peaceful night of sleep. My mind was dreaming up what my family could look like. How I could've got my brown eyes from my dad, or my kindness from my mom, or how I could've had a protective older brother.

Don't get me wrong, I love my adoptive parents, but now I just can't help but feel empty now. But I had to push all of that behind me now. There was no way of knowing if they were alive or not, and if they were, I couldn't possibly see them again.

Right as I had gotten a sliver of sleep, the familiar noise of my electronic alarm clock, jolting me awake. I quickly got dressed in a burgundy sweatshirt, black leggings, and black converse shoes, before tying my mop of hair into a messy bun.

My mom easily let me drive her car to school since she noticed that there wasn't a scratch on it after the weeks of their absence.

I haven't heard a word from anyone, so I assumed that I would catch up with everyone in the first period since most of my friends were in that class anyway. When I got there, I noticed that Alaric wasn't there, which wasn't completely unusual since he was late to class at times.

I took my seat next to Bonnie, who was next to Elena, who was next to Stefan. I greeted Bonnie normally, it seemed as though we both had a silent agreement to forgive each other and move forward.

Elena was holding up some poster to Stefan that I couldn't see, but he shook his head "no" before Elena turned to us. I could now see that the poster was for the decade dance that was supposed to be tonight.

Bonnie and I responded to the invitation with an excited nod, mine more enthusiastic than Bonnie's since I hadn't gone to an actual school dance. Alaric quickly entered the class, he seemed to have been in a rush.

"Hello, class." He cleared his throat before picking up a book from his desk. "What are we learning today?"

"With the decade dance tonight, we've been covering the sixties all week." Dana, a teacher's pet answered Mr. Saltzman.

"Right. The sixties." He put the book down on his desk, his eyes traveling the room. They landed on Elena and he started staring at her for an uncomfortable amount of time. He turned his back to the class, facing the chalkboard.

"The, uh, ahem..." he started writing something on the board. "The Sixties. I wish there was something good I could say about the sixties, but...Actually, they kind of sucked. Except for the Beatles, of course. They made it bearable. Uh, what else was there? The Cuban missile thing, the...we walked on the moon. There was Watergate." He couldn't get his thoughts together, strangely.

"Watergate was the seventies, Ric. I-I mean, Mr. Saltzman." Elena smiled at the teacher.

"Right. It all kind of mushes together up here, the sixties, seventies. Thank you, Elena."

I shrugged at Bonnie, not really knowing the difference between the two time periods.

After class, I practically ran out of the room. The class dragged on slowly, each moment more awkward than the last. Alaric was having a rough day, it was easy to tell, so I just kept quiet.

I walked next to Elena with a lunch tray in hand, towards the table where Bonnie and Jeremy were sitting. From where I was standing, it looked like they were having a heated argument. Their conversation ceased once we reached the table.

"Hey, Jer. How are you doing? Are you okay at the house alone with John?" Elena asked her brother.

"It's not ideal." He replied before glancing at Bonnie and standing up.

"You haven't heard from Jenna, have you?" I had no idea why she was asking this, probably some Gilbert family drama.

"It looks like she's staying on campus. Look I'm...I'm late for class." Jeremy left before Elena could question him any further.