39 » HIDDEN AGENDA

The grass surrendered under Kennedy's boot heel as she dramatically trudged behind Elena. If she was going to be stuck on "protect Elena duty", she was damn sure making it obvious that she didn't want to be there. The pair of brunettes crossed the football field to the other side of the track where the thousand-year-old vampire was practicing a cheer routine. Kennedy didn't mind Rebekah so far, even though the Original did kidnap her on senior prank night.

"You two! Goody." Rebekah greeted the girls after completing a series of gymnastic flips.

Elena stood firm, locking eyes with the Original. "I was hoping we could talk."

Kennedy scoffed at Elena's attempt to look intimidating.

"About what? Stefan?" Rebekah smirked. "Don't worry, I'm off him until he starts treating me better. In fact, you should probably take a page out of my book, if I'm being honest." She shrugged. Kennedy let out a slight chuckle at Rebekah's sly comment.

"Actually, I'd rather talk about this." Elena held up the picture of the etching of Rebekah's name so that Rebekah could see it. Rebekah's confident expression wavered once she finished scanning the picture.

Kennedy noticed her softer expression and decided to pry. "I wonder why you and the evil brother have been running from your father for a thousand years." Kennedy placed both hands on her hips.

"I should get back to the girls," Rebekah said plainly. "Homecoming's right around the corner." Rebekah put in a fake smile before turning to leave.

"Well then, maybe I'll ask Mikael when we wake him," Elena interjected with a cocky smile. Rebekah froze in place before turning to face the girls again.

"You're bluffing!" Rebekah drew in a breath that only Kennedy could hear. "You don't know where he is. No one does." It wasn't clear if she was reassuring Elena or herself.

"So, then who's rotting in that old cemetery in Charlotte?" Kennedy blurted out. She could honestly care less about what Rebekah had to say, as long as it resulted in the death of Klaus.

"If you wake Mikael, we are all doomed!" Rebekah's eyes widened as she drew in another breath. The scent of fear caught Kennedy's attention.

"So then, tell us," Kennedy said calmly. "What makes your father so dangerous?"

"Why do you want to know?" Rebekah raised a suspicious eyebrow.

"Why don't you want us to wake him?" Elena asked again.

Rebekah's face went back to its stone-cold expression. "I need to get back to the girls." She sneered before turning around for good.

"Well, that was a bust." Elena shook her head in defeat.

"Not exactly." Kennedy's eyes were trained on the Original. "Something about Mikael scares the living shit out of her." She stated monotonously without looking away from Rebekah.

"How do you know?"

"Because she smells like fear. It's the strongest I've ever smelled." Kennedy turned to escape the suffocating smell before Elena followed shortly behind her.

-

Elena followed shortly behind Damon as he paced the floor in Alaric's apartment. Kennedy sat on top of a kitchen counter, exchanging texts with one Miles Michigan.

"She's going to tell me." Elena pleaded, "She's scared of him, Damon. I saw her face. I just have to engage in a little 'mean girl' power struggle first".

Damon turned to face the determined doppelganger. "Well, make sure she doesn't power struggle you into a wheelchair." Damon retorted, earning a laugh from the werewolf. A proud smile spread on the Salvatore's face.