18 » WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING

Damon and I were still dancing to the music that Klaus had requested. Damon was gentle, which I didn't expect from him. One of my hands was held in his while my other hand was placed on his shoulder, while his other hand was carefully placed on my back. After a while of us dancing, his face screwed up into an unidentifiable expression.

"What's wrong?" I looked up at him.

"I just overheard something," he said looking over my shoulder. "If it's true, this night just took a turn for the worse." Damon released himself from the position we were in, then walked to where Elena and Stefan were dancing.

I walked to the drinks table, grabbing a drink of whatever punch they were serving. I watched as Damon danced with Elena, and then made his way over to Bonnie. Jeremy soon came over and we made up small talk before Elena walked over.

"What are they up to?" Elena was acknowledging the fact that Bonnie and Damon were dancing together.

"Who knows?" Jeremy said bitterly.

"Is there something going on, Jer? You okay?"

"Fine. I'm fine." Jeremy spat before leaving the table, Stefan taking his place.

"Everything all right?" Stefan asked the both of us.

"I'm not sure." Elena honestly answered.

"I mean, Damon said that he overheard something really bad, and Jeremy has been pretty bummed out lately," I answered.

"I'm going to talk to Jeremy," Stefan said before he followed Jeremy out into the halls of the school.

"I have a bad feeling about whatever's going on right now," I confessed to Elena.

"Me too."

Moments later Stefan returned to us, telling us the worst news that we could've heard that night. Jeremy told Stefan that in order to take down Klaus, Bonnie runs the risk of dying. Elena and I stormed over to Bonnie, who was no longer dancing with Damon.

"We need to talk to you," I told Bonnie before Elena and I led her outside.

"How could you not tell us that you were risking your life?" Elena began to lecture Bonnie.

"'Cause I knew how you two would react." Bonnie shrugged.

"No. No way, it's not an option." I shook my head, crossing my arms over my chest.

"It's our only option," Bonnie explained.

"Then we'll find another way, okay? Bonnie, you're not dying to save my life."

"I have the power to save you! If I don't use it and something happens, that would kill me more."

"You can't do it," I said. I wasn't willing to let anyone die no matter what.

"I can't let you." Elena backed me up.

"Just answer one question...if the situation was reversed, would you do it for me?" Bonnie was answered by a silence that only meant "yes".

"So you know why I have to," Bonnie concluded.

"No. No!" Elena pleaded.

"Elena!" Our heads shot up to Alaric, who approached us.

"What is it?" Elena answered.

"He has Jeremy." Alaric panted, "Klaus has Jeremy. Come on."

We followed Alaric to a side entrance that led us to an abandoned part of the school.

"Okay, so where are you taking us?" Elena asked as Alaric led us to a quiet hallway in the school.

"Just a little further," he said, his tone changed, he had dropped his voice of worry and now, he had a hint of something sinister in his voice.

"Wait...Something's not right." I concluded, stopping in the hallway once I noticed Alaric's odd behavior.

"Where's Jeremy?" Bonnie asked, stopping next to me. Elena's walking slowed, and she stopped next to the two of us.

Alaric stopped walking too, turning to face us.

"I just had to get away from that dance. The sixties, ugh. Not my decade."  Alaric snickers, sending nervous chills down my spine. "I mean, whose call was that, anyway? I much prefer the twenties. The style, the parties, the jazz."

Elena and I traded confused glances before she spoke up. "Alaric. Are you on vervain?"

"Now why would you ask me that question, Elena?"

"Maybe because so sound like a psychopath." I spat and crossed my arms over my chest.

Alaric grinned,"I suggest you mind your tongue, Nathalia."

My jaw nearly dropped to the ground. How would Alaric know my birth name? I looked over to Bonnie and Elena who looked just as shocked as I was. There was only one explanation.

"He's being compelled," I concluded. "I never told anyone that was my birth name."

"Nope. Try again," he said matter of factly.

"What's going on?" Bonnie asked no one in particular since she didn't know about my birth family.

"Okay, I'll give you a hint. I am not Alaric." He smiled sinisterly. A brief moment of silence followed, I was racking my brain for who was the person standing in front of us.

"Klaus!" Elena shouted, which caused my heart to race in fear.

"Surprise!" Klaus said with an odd tone of happiness which made it all the more creepier.

"Oh, no. No, it's not possible," I started, "How do you know my name?"

"All will be revealed in due time," The face of our history teacher smiled. "But for now, just relax ladies." Klaus was focused on Elena and me.

"I'm not here to hurt you. You're not on my hit list tonight." His focus shifted to Bonnie.

"But you are." Klaus charged towards Bonnie but she threw him against a wall of lockers, using her magic. "Now, did I mention that I knew a witch? You're gonna have to hit me a lot harder than that."

He rushed over to Bonnie again, this time being thrown against a trophy display case, the glass shattering and falling to the floor. His smile remained on his face as he continued laughing.

"By all means...Fire away!" He stood up, "If you kill this body, I'll just get a new one. Maybe Jeremy."

"Go. Run. Run!" Bonnie yelled.

The three of us ran down the halls, Bonnie using her magic to close the doors behind her. Damon joined us in an empty hallway through another set of doors.

"What happened?" He asked with his hands raised.

"Klaus is in Alaric's body," Elena answered.

"What?"

"He's possessing it or something," Bonnie said.

Damon looked at Elena. "Go find Stefan. Now."

"Okay," Elena said but she lingered for a while, looking at me.

"Now," Damon repeated. Elena ran off doing exactly what Damon said.

"What are we going to do now? He's in Alaric's body we can't hurt him." I questioned.

"Can you kill him?" Damon asked Bonnie, apparently not considering the fact that Alaric would be dead also.

"He's got some kind of protection spell on him." Bonnie frowned.

"You have the power of a hundred witches. Break it." Damon commanded.

"I'm trying! If I kill Alaric, he'll just possess someone else. He knows I have my power, Damon. He's trying to kill me."

"No. Klaus does not get to win tonight, no way. You still willing to do whatever it takes to kill him?" Damon asked both of us. Bonnie nodded, but I demeaned silent. Damon turned his focus to me.

"Are you?" Damon raised an eyebrow.

"For Elena," I took a deep breath in, "Of course."