26 » WELCOME BACK

The other side was worse than I could have ever imagined. Stefan always told me how supernatural beings went here when they died, how they were convicted to watching their loved ones through glass for the rest of their nonexistent lives. But he never told me how it felt to be on the other side. To watch the people you love move on without you, or to see some grieve your death without being able to comfort them. It was absolute torture. Or the loneliness you feel when you realize you're the only one on the other side. If I had a dime for the number of times I had conversations with myself, thinking I was talking to one of my friends, I would have enough money to pay the Devil to get me out of this hellhole. The loneliness made me crave death.

Watching Stefan sacrifice himself for Damon was definitely hard to watch. Throughout the summer I watched him slowly lose his soul to Klaus, and I wanted to badly to just hug him and bring him back to reality. But I couldn't.

After watching Stefan for about a month, I had finally mustered up the courage to return back to my home to watch my parents. The vervain slowly left their system, which caused them to spiral. I could tell they realized what they had done; their faces wore guilt all over them. They hardly looked or spoke to each other after the fact and it tore my heart.

I wasn't exactly sure of what day it was today, but I know it has been around three months since I died. My parents were sitting at the dining room table, planning something. My dad brought flowers and had a slight smile on his face.

"You ready?" he asked my mother. She nodded in response and stood up.

I followed them outside of the house, all the way to the car where my dad had opened the back seat, placing the bouquet of flowers neatly across the seats. Before he closed the door, I slid into the car, next to where the flowers were placed. He looked at the flowers one more time before closing the car door and making his way to the driver's seat of the car.

The ride was silent. My dad just kept his eyes on the road while my mom stared at her hands, which were placed in her lap. At this point in time, I'd break the silence by making a corny joke, but usually, they'd never been this quiet.
The fact that I couldn't actually communicate with my parents made the silence excruciating.

We pulled up to an unfamiliar place, it was practically unpopulated, with only two other cars being parked in the moss-covered parking lot.

Dad opened the door to the car to retrieve the assortment of flowers. My mom led my dad and me down a trail that went deep into the woods. A trail of blooming blossoms led us to a clearing in the woods. The landscape came straight out of an art museum, with colorful flowers dotting the brush around us. A smooth gray stone sat in the middle of the plate of grass. The stone was plain except for a large rose carved into the center of it.

All of a sudden, my mom broke down into tears.

"Mom-" I put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her, but I felt nothing. No matter how much I tried to embrace her, so was only greeted with the cold of the atmosphere instead.

"Don't be sad," a familiar voice came from behind us, sending all there of our heads to face the origin of the voice. My stomach dropped once I viewed the slim man with sandy blonde hair and pink lips. He approached us with his signature grin. "You'll see her very soon." He stood with his hands folded behind his back.

"What do you want?" my dad sneered. I frowned at the anger that he spoke with. My mom couldn't do anything else but cry. I felt absolutely helpless once again.

"If you do anything to them I swear to God, Klaus." I started towards him, but I knew he couldn't hear me.

"I don't want anything," Klaus continued, "I need one simple thing." Klaus' eyes focused in on my mom. "Don't move, don't make a sound," he said monotonously. She merely nodded in response.