13 » DINNER PARTY

So far this morning, I was pretty calm. I had no outbursts of anger yet, which might have something to do with the exercises that Elijah gave me last night. Even though I was mad at him, I couldn't help but think about how kind he was when he assisted me.

"Kennedy?" Bonnie's voice snapped me out of my trance, "You're staring into space again."

I shook my head, "No I'm not, I was just... looking at that beautiful wallpaper." It was a lame excuse, which Bonnie could obviously see through.

"Like we weren't just at the Grill yesterday, the wallpaper is nothing new. But if you don't want to tell me, that's fine—"

"It's nothing it's just," I inhaled, "I've been thinking, how weird is it that since I've killed Scarlet, nothing has been on the news? No cops, I haven't even seen her parents since then. Kind of suspicious if you ask me."

"If I were you, I would count it as a blessing."

The small bell attached to the door sounded, clashing with the indie music that was playing over the loudspeaker in the restaurant. The young warlock entered, his eyes were narrowed in an unidentifiable expression.

I lifted the warm glass of the chai tea I ordered to my lips. "Ah, incoming." Luka spotted the both of us and walked to our table with heavy footsteps.

"You want to tell me what the hell happened yesterday?" A slight scent of anger expelled from him, making my nose flare up. Luka placed his hands on the table and leaned down to where his face was only a few inches away from Bonnie's.

"Sorry?" Bonnie plastered a fake confused expression.

"Don't play dumb. You both were here and—"

"And?" I lifted an eyebrow as I sipped my tea.

"And that's all I remember. One minute I'm playing pool and the next I'm waking up in a bathroom stall."

"Sorry, Luka, but everything seemed normal yesterday. I mean, I brought you a coffee and we played pool." Bonnie recited her cover story.

"See, I think you're lying." Luka's words were laced with hostility, making my blood boil. I shot up from my seat across from Bonnie and shoved Luka away from her.

"And I think you need to back off." I titled my head to the side, daring him to do something. Instead, he took a last glance at both of us, then left the Grill.

"Thanks, Kennedy," Bonnie sighed, "But you didn't have to do that."

"What do you mean I didn't have to do that? The guy basically accused you of doing something to him, which isn't exactly false. He sounded pretty angry."

"I get it, but when push comes to shove, I can handle myself. We wouldn't want you accidentally killing somebody else."

My eyebrows furrowed, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"No, I didn't mean it like that—"

"Then what did you mean? You know, I told you I triggered my curse because I trusted you, not for you to use it against me. Friends don't do that." I spoke in a whisper, but loud enough to turn a couple of heads. I quickly grabbed my purse and rushed away, leaving Bonnie alone at the table.

Once I got to my house, I sat down on the steps to my front porch and dialed the doppelganger's number. I ran a hand through my coffee-colored hair as I waited for her to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Elena. How's it going at the lake house?"

"It's fine, it was kind of hectic last night, but its been nice being here alone with Stefan. What's going on?"