Chapter 20: Nothing's Ever Quite Like It Seems

Alicia's POV

After David left I went to change. I took the day off so I went to fold laundry. Then I heard the door open.
"Hey honey!" It was Ruben. What's he doing here?
I went downstairs and greeted him.
"What are you doing here?" I asked.
"I'm taking a lunch break and thought I'd stop by." He said. "Where's David?"
"He left." I answered.
We both went to the kitchen to talk until I saw the note David wrote. Ruben looked where the note is at and asked what it was.
"A note that David left for us. It's probably a thank you note." I said. He took a good look at the note and his face looked puzzled.
"This is a strange note." He said.
I was confused, "what did it say?"
"Thank you very much for your hospitality, if there's anything you need, just give me a call at this number.  David. P. S just remember nothing's ever quite like it seems." He read aloud.
We both looked puzzled.
"What do you think he means by that?" I asked.
"Well, lets give him a call shall we?"
I nodded. Ruben dialed David's number.
"Hello, this is officer Dominguez calling, can I speak to a David please?"
I listened.
"Well this is the number he gave us.... mmm... okay. Sorry if I disturbed you."
"Was it a wrong number?" I asked.
"No, I think it was the number we meant to call. But the weird thing was that this person who I talked on the phone has never heard of him."
"What do you think that means?" I asked.
"It's a saying. I figured it out. Like David put his number, we called and it ended up not being his real number."
I realized it too. "You know what that means, I think Mayra is in real trouble." Said Ruben.

Mayra's POV

Here I am again, bound and blindfolded. The boys left to go on a hike while I'm stuck here in the old shed. Then I heard a car come. Is it David? Is it my dad or Miguel? Then the door opened and I heard a grumble. It's David. He took my blindfold and tape off of my mouth.
"Did you sleep well last night?!" He asked.
"No, of course not. How did ever get myself into this mess?" I asked.
"It's that easy really, you just happened to be the one we decided to kidnap." He smirks.
I rolled my eyes at him.
"Have you ever seen an animal in a trap?" He asks.
I shook my head.
He chuckles, "they struggle at first, but gradually they stop, and then at the end they're just waiting to die." He said.
I was starting to get pale. Why is he saying all of this to me? Is he saying that I'm an animal in the trap?
"Why are you doing this to me?" I asked.
"I don't really think they ask those kinds of questions. But why does it matter when you got no future." He laughs.
"It matters to me!" I Yelled. "If you'd just explain then maybe we can talk this through—"
"Have the boys fed you today?" He asked.
"No." I answered.
"I bet you're hungry." He said.
I nodded. "I am actually."
He smiled. "You're in luck! I bought some McD's on the way here."
I smiled. He's a nice guy, but once you sass him or talk back to him he gets mad and annoyed.
He gave me an egg sausage McMuffin and it tasted so good.
"I have a question."
I nodded.
"Is your mom a good cook?" He asked. Why is he asking me this? "Yeah, She is." I reply.
"I would have to agree with you." He said and winked at me.
"Wait... what?" I asked. I was confused. How would he know about my mom's cooking?
"She fed me dinner while I needed a place to stay." He said.
"What?! You've seen my mom?" I asked.
"Yup! And your dad, your brother and your boyfriend. I got bored watching you so I thought I'd go spend the night with them." He said
I was beyond shocked. Did they know who he was? Did he do something to them?
"But then I got bored with them so I came back." He said.
"What did you do?" I asked nervously.
"Oh nothing, I pretended that my car broke down and that I needed a place to stay. Then they fed me dinner and offered me the guest room. Your mom tried to offer me breakfast but I didn't want it."
I was still shocked, not knowing what to say. I finished eating the Egg McMuffin and drank a lot of water. Something was different about David. He's being a little nicer, what might've happened while he was with my family?
"Would you say you were a Happy family?" He asked.
I shrugged my shoulders and didn't say anything.
"I ask because your family has something special that my family didn't have." He said.
I looked at him. Something special? "Like what?" I asked.
He smiled. "Like your dad is a police officer, who protects the city, the people and your family. Hehe, obviously he didn't do a good job protecting you now, but that's besides the point. Your mom is a medical doctor, who checks up patients, helps them with medical attention, she probably makes sure you and your family are strong and healthy. She has a mother's touch." He said looking a little sad. I wonder why.
"You have a brother who's close to you, you go to a nice school, I bet you have perfect grades." I rolled my eyes, I honestly hate school and my teachers are okay.
"You have a best friend who you hang out with and you have a job, and a perfect boyfriend who loves you cares for you ." He continued. "That's why I ask."
We both looked at each other for awhile.
I responded, "we have our ups and downs." I wouldn't say my life is perfect.....