Chapter 37: Mayra's Secret

Ruben's POV

We got home and as we went inside, I saw Mayra stomping up the stairs to her room. Why is she being so defensive over the boys? Why does she want to do the plea bargain? All of this does not make sense. I decided to go upstairs and talk to her.
"Honey, don't you think we should give her some alone time?" Alicia suggested.
I sighed. "Honey, I need to know what's going on! I have so many questions I want to ask her." I said.
"I know Honey. You got to understand that she's been through a lot. She's been questioned by Detective Richter, she goes to counseling, and having the detective and other police officers coming here all the time, it's exhausting. She's had a traumatic experience, she needs to rest and have some alone time." She said.
"I understand that baby, but she's still my baby girl and I will do what ever it takes to protect her." I said.
"I get you baby, but she's been talking to her counselor, speaking of her counselor we have to get going." She said.
"I'll take her. I want to know what the counselor says." I said.
Alicia shook her head. "No baby, it's best that I go. I know how you are with her. You've been really strict with her lately." She said.
I rolled my eyes. "Yes I'm strict with her because she's been taken away."
"It wasn't her fault that it happened. I'll talk to her counselor about it and I'll talk to Mayra." She said.
I then get a call from the detective to meet up with him. I groaned.
"Okay, but tell me everything when you get home." I said.
She nodded, I gave her a big kiss and a hug and left.

Mayra's POV

We arrived at the counseling therapy clinic and as we entered I saw Kelsey with her dog Lucky! I love dogs they're so special.
"Are you ready Mayra?" Kelsey asked.
I nodded and went into the room.
We sat down and I was playing with Lucky.
"He's So adorable!" I said.
"Thank you. He's too much but thats what makes me fall in love with him." She smiled.
Lucky then sat on my lap as Kelsey was asking me questions.
"So Mayra how was your week? Has it gotten better since you were home?" She asked.
"Well, it's been stressful and exhausting." I said.
"How So?" She asked.
I looked down. "I just feel like I'm being locked up all the time." I said.
"Why do you say that?" She said with concern.
"Ever since when I was kidnapped, my dad has been super protective over me. He told me that I have to have someone with me at all times when I get out of the house or he'll make me stay in." I said.
She nodded. "Do you ever get alone time?" She asked.
"Hardly. He always interrogates me about the boys and he always wants to know about everything."
She started to write things down. "Interrogating and always wanting to know everything...." she said.
I nodded. "I know, I feel like he's more like a cop than a father." I said.
She looked at me with empathy. "I was just going to say that. Now tell me, what was your father like before you were kidnapped?"
I thought about it. I remembered how he was super chill, he's protective and loves to crack jokes. I also remembered when I was little, I'd always ask him how many bad guys he caught and he'd tell me how many. I have always thought he's a hero.
"He was super chill, always happy, protective, but so funny." I explained. "I always support Him for what he does and for coming home safely. I thank God for protecting him and for him to protect others."
Kelsey nodded smiling. "what do you think makes your father the way he is now?" She asked.
I already knew that question, but I just couldn't answer. I just looked down and cried.
"Hey Mayra, it's okay. What's been going on?" She asked.
I shook my head. "I can't..." that was all I could say.
"Sweetie you have to, I'm here to help you and I need you to tell me so that I can help you." She said.
Lucky nuzzled my hand. I started to pet him.
"It's so hard to explain. You're going to think I'm crazy." I explained.
She chuckled and shook her head. "No Mayra, you won't be crazy. You're only crazy for not telling me."
I looked at her with my watery eyes.
"What's been on your mind?" She asked.
I have no choice. I have to tell her, she's right about me being crazy for holding it in.
"Well, during the time I was kidnapped, David and I went to Lovers Leap trail in custard park. We got to know each other and he told me his life story, about how he lost his mom when he was very little and how his dad was a drunk. He wanted to get away from his past, I tried to explain to him how it can be hard, but we can always learn from it.."
She nodded.
"That was why he kidnapped me, so that he can have money to go live in Las Vegas. But something else happened. That same day, later at night he put on music and danced with me. It  was unusual at first but he's a good dancer. Then we paused and he told me to kiss him. I was super hesitant about it because I knew I have a boyfriend and he's a kidnapper, but my gut said to do it.... and i did it." I said.
Her face looked worried and concerned, but somehow she was smiling about it. "How did it feel?" She asked.
I cried more, "It felt like a real kiss than my boyfriends kiss. Somehow it felt right, but I didn't want to believe it. I think I fell in love with him." I said, putting my hands on my face.
She then sat next to me and rubbed my shoulder.
"Have you told your parents about it?" She asked.
I shook my head. I told her how I was afraid to tell them especially my dad. I also told her about court tomorrow and how I wanted to do the plea bargain because the boys were my age and I don't want to see them being locked up for the rest of their lives. She hugged me, and she told me that I have to tell my parents how I felt.
"It'll seem hard at first but they need to understand. It's not your fault you fell in love with David, but you have to do the right thing." She said.
I nodded and smiled at her and she smiled back.
"It'll be alright."