Chapter 33: Interrogation with David

Detective Richter's POV

After our Q&A session with Mayra, I drove to the police station to interview David and his gang. As soon as I arrived I invited Officer Avila to come with me and my partner detective Wright. He's my assistant he normally comes with me, but I didn't want to bring him with me when I visited Mayra. It would've intimidated her. We arrived and entered into the interrogation room with David inside. Detective Wright was in the other room observing.
"Good evening David. How are you doing?" I asked.
"I've been alright." He said.
"Yes well, I hope you enjoyed being here in prison." I chuckled.
He rolled his eyes at me.
"David, this is Officer Avila. He will be accompanying me whenever I come and ask you questions."
He nodded.
"Okay, lets begin. I need you to be completely honest with me and If you have any questions I will answer them."
"Yes sir." He said.
"Very good. Now, can you tell me what made you want to kidnap Mayra and hold her for ransom?" I asked.
"Well, you see detective I've always had a dream to live in a big house, have a Maserati, and a wife. I've always wanted to get away from this state. I had problems with my life and quite frankly I wanted to run away from it." He said.
"That's how I planned on kidnapping someone for ransom. But I didn't know who. So I asked the boys to come by at my house and go to the mall. We ran into a barista that worked for Starbucks giving us some samples. We took the sample and I thought it was delicious so we went to Starbucks, ordered and chilled at the cafe area. That was when I noticed Mayra, she looked really pretty. I asked my buddy Daniel to get to know her and he did." He said.
I nodded. "Okay, How did Daniel get to know her? There must've been a reason why you wanted him to do it." I said.
"I wanted Daniel to get the information out of her because I picked her as my hostage. I asked Chris if she could be the one we could kidnap for ransom and that was when he told me we didn't know anything about her. So that's why I sent Daniel to talk to her." He said.
"Mmhm, How long have you and your buddies were planning on kidnapping?" I asked.
He thought about it and said, "it was literally last minute planning. We were planning it for 2 days. We didn't even plan on how much money we wanted until when we got to the old shed." He said.
I wrote the things he said down on my notes. "Question, why Daniel and not you?" I asked.
"What?" He asked confusingly.
"Why did you send Daniel to talk to Mayra instead of you?" I asked.
"I don't like talking to people and Daniel has a stupid yet attractive personality so I thought of him to go instead." He said.
I chuckled.
"So tell me what happened in the past week in a half when you had Mayra?"I asked.
"I mostly spent my time with her, feed her when she's hungry, whenever I had to go to the store or visit my dad, I'd have either Chris or a Daniel watch her or I watch her when the boys would go out or do something." He said.
I nodded.
"So what kinds of information did you want to know about Mayra?" I asked.
"You know, her family. I wanted to know where her family worked and when Daniel told me, we decided to make a lot of money."
"Are you being honest with me?" I asked.
"No I'm just telling you my life story, yes I'm telling the truth." He said.
I rolled my eyes at him. Officer Avila was about to get up, but I nudged him to calm down.
"Okay, well it's getting late. We will continue this tomorrow. Thank you for your time." I said.
"Thank you." He said, Officer Avila escorted him to his prison.
I got up and left to my office. I decided to call the Psychologist.

Dr. Spendlove: Thank you for calling Interpersonal Healing Clinic this is Dr. Spendlove.
Me: Hello Dr. Spendlove, this is Detective Richter. How are you?
Dr. Spendlove: hello detective, I'm doing well are you?
Me: pretty good. I have a question for you. I have a someone who's a victim of kidnapping and I think she may need someone to talk to so that she can be more open.
Dr. Spendlove: hmm, how old is she and did you interview her?
Me: she's 18 and yes I interviewed her. But the thing is that I think she would be more comfortable with talking to you, she seemed annoyed when I asked her how she felt.
Dr. Spendlove: Okay, I'll be glad to help her. Let me know when she's free so that I can make appointments for her.
Me: I sure will. I'll call her dad and let you know.
Dr. Spendlove: awesome thanks so much for calling.
Me: thank you for helping. Have a good night.