Chapter 36: Jail and Sentencing Guidelines

A few days later

David's POV

It was finally lunch time. I've had enough being interrogated by detective Richter. I saw Chris and Daniel and we grabbed our lunch and sat on a table.
"Hey David, did you hear about the trial at court tomorrow?" Chris asked.
I nodded.
"My family is going to be there!" Daniel said.
Chris nodded. "Yeah mine too and they're not too happy about it."
"At least your families will be there. My dads in prison and my mom is dead." I grumbled.
"Do you think Mayra and her family would be there?" Daniel asked.
I shrugged my shoulders. "I'd be surprised to see her there, I know her parents will be there."
Chris nodded. "How are your interviews with the detective so far?" He asked.
"He's testy. But I like it!" Daniel said. We gave him the stare like why?
"What? He's doing his job and he's really good at it." He said.
I rolled my eyes. "He's been sassy to me, I think it's because I was the leader or some sort." I said.
"Yeah, he's been sassing me too. He was telling us that we may be in prison for life if we didn't tell him the truth." Chris said.
"Well, did you guys talk to your lawyers?" Daniel asked.
We nodded.
"My lawyer was saying that when we go to court we have to testify and tell the truth. They may try us since we're adults to be sentenced to life in prison." Chris said.
"Well, my lawyer says that they're going to offer us the plea bargain." Daniel said.
"That's only if Mayra and her parents agree to it." I said.
"Do you think she'll agree to it?" Daniel
Asked.
Chris and I shrugged.
"As weird as it may seem, but I think she'll give us a chance." Daniel said.
"But I don't think her parents will, especially officer Dominguez." I said.
"Speaking of Mayra, what was going on between you and her?" Chris asked.
"Nothing." I said.
"I've noticed you changed. I remembered when we kidnapped her at first you were hard on her, but later on like towards the end you were soft and nice to her." He said.
"Yeah! I saw you kiss her forehead too!" Daniel pointed out.
"I know, but-"
"And look at you. You look depressed and upset." Chris said.
"I know Chris!" I Exclaimed.
There was a pause.
"David, we just want to help you." Chris said.
"Help me?! Chris I think you were jealous." I said.
"Me? Jealous?! Please, at least I'm not the one who loves to spend time with my hostage." He said.
"Guys please don't argue." Daniel said.
Ignoring Daniel, I continued to talk. "I wasn't spending time with her. I was watching and guarding her." I defended.
"Oh come on David. We saw how you've gone soft. When you and Mayra escaped I saw you holding her in your arms while I was driving to your apartment." He said.
"She passed out Chris! What did you want me to do? Leave her on the ground?" I asked. "I respect women and girls."
"Face it David, you're in love with her." Chris said.
"Fine. You want the truth? Yes, I am in love with Mayra. Happy?!" I yelled.
Then the lunch bell rang and we walked to our prison cell. Chris just glared at me while Daniel bro hugged me. I don't know why Chris is acting this way. I think he's upset that we may be sentenced to life in prison. I'll be honest, I miss Mayra. A lot! I think about her all the time and I hope she's doing okay. I'd give anything to see her again.

Mayra's POV

A few days came and I'm just exhausted. Too many police men at our house and my dad asking me questions about what had happened and visiting our lawyer. I kinda wish I was at school instead of being in this situation. We've been visiting our lawyer and she's been telling us about court tomorrow.
"What time is the trial?" I asked.
"It's tomorrow at noon." Our lawyer said. Her name is Regina Bloom.
"But we want to go over the charges and sentencing guidelines." She said.
"Okay, what kind of punishment will they get?" I asked.
She looks over the guidelines. "Well, charges of kidnapping (since they kidnapped you and they're adults) is life in prison."
"Life in prison?!" I shouted.
"Really?" My Mom asked.
"Yes Really, and for attempt of robbery is about 15 years or more." She said.
My heart dropped. I don't want David or the boys to suffer in prison for that long.
"Is there another solution?" I asked. I saw my dad shocked looking at me.
"There's the Plea bargain where they only get 5-8 years of probation and 4 years of community service." Regina said.
"I—"
"No! No plea bargain!" My dad interrupted. I gave him the most appalled look. Why not?! 
"I want to see those guys in jail, even Mayra wants to see them in jail." He said.
Regina looked at me. "Is that true Mayra?" She asked.
"Well, yeah but—"
"You heard her! We both want to see them in jail. They deserve whatever time they get." My dad said.
I looked at him, "but dad, life in prison?! Come on, they're like my age." I said.
"If that bothers you then perhaps we should reconsider the plea bargain. Even with the lesser charge the judge will have some latitude of terms of sentencing and we can certainly ask for the maximum penalty." She said.
"No, I want to see the boys face the jury I want to face the jury. I want to get on the stand to tell those boys what they did to us." He said.
"US? What do you mean us? Nothing happened to you." I said.
"I say us because of them I'll never be able to trust that the world is a safe place for my kids, see that's what they took from me Mayra!" He exclaimed.
I looked at my mom and at Regina.
"No plea bargain." My dad said.
I sighed in defeat. I really want the boys to have a lighter sentence, I want David to have a better life. But I know my dad will never forgive them for taking me from him and my mom.
We then went home and I went to my room for peace and quiet. I just wanted to be alone. I feel like nobody understands how I feel anymore. I want this to be completely over.