14. Double Date.

"He was both everything I could ever want...
And nothing I could ever have..."

- Ranata Suzuki

************************************************

"Hey, Mia." Kina smiled as I walked into Mr. Segal's math class.

"Hey." I smiled back, taking my usual seat next to her.

I looked down at the notebook she was doodling aimlessly on. I know it was just random drawings but they looked really nice.

"You're pretty good at that." I complimented, still staring at her notebook.

"You think so?" She questioned.

"Yes, I do." I nodded my head at her.

"Thanks." She beamed.

I turned my attention to the whiteboard in the front of the classroom and let out a small groan when I saw we had a test today. Math was never my strongest subject and it definitely showed in my homework.

"So how does it feel to have both Axel and Rylan gawk over you?" Kina asked a hint of sadness in her voice.

"I know you like Rylan." I jumped to the point, catching her off guard.

"What? Don't be crazy." She laughed nervously.

"I see the way you look at him," I told her, whispering slightly so people wouldn't overhear.

"Mia I'm begging you, don't tell anyone." She pleaded with me.

"Why don't you tell him?" I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

"And embarrass myself? No thank you." She looked at me like I was crazy.

"How on earth would you embarrass yourself?" Kina was unbelievably beautiful and so sweet anyone would be lucky to have her.

"Because Mia, you might see the way I look at him but I see the way he looks at you." She smiled sadly.

"Granted it's nothing compared the way Axel literally never takes his eyes off you, but I know I don't stand a chance." She looked away and focused her attention on her doodling.

"I don't like Rylan in any other way than a friend," I told her honestly.

"Really?" She looks up at me.

"Really. In fact, I'm going to help you." I declared.

"How do you plan to do that?" She questioned.

"After school you, Rylan, Axel and I will go to the mall. I will distract Axel, leaving you two alone." I stated.

"You would do that?" Her eyes shining brightly again.

"Of course." I smiled.

I noticed Mr. Segal was passing out the test to students, a test I had forgotten to study for. With everything going on I had completely spaced it off.

"Just met Rylan at his car," I told her.

She just nodded her head and we both started taking our test, and just for the record, I regret not studying. I'm not entirely sure why I agreed to set this whole "double date" thing up. I can't tell if I did it because I wanted to help Kina or if I just wanted an excuse to be around Axel.

I was really hoping I felt the way I did last night because I was caught up in the moment and my brain was lacking oxygen or the paint fumes were making me high. I was searching for something, anything that explained what I felt wasn't actual feelings. But ever since last night I had an undeniable urge to be around Axel.