25. I'm Alive.

"The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter - often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter - in the eye." 

- Charlotte Brontë

************************************************

Before I could register what was happening, Axel had Rylan by the collar of his shirt, throwing him onto the hard floor.

I watched in horror as Axel started delivering punch after punch to Rylan's face. When I saw Rylan make no effort to fight back or to protect himself I quickly snapped into action.

"Axel stop!" I tried pulling him off but it was useless. His strength overpowered mine by a landslide, he was like a bulldozer, it was pretty much impossible to stop when him once he got started. I pushed on his shoulder several times and finally, his attention snapped to me.

His eyes were burning with such fury that made me stumble away from him. His hands were still in a fist as he loomed over Rylan, who I think was unconscious at this point. Axel's features turned from menacing to slightly benevolent to emotionless in the span of three seconds.

"You don't need to hurt him," I told him gently so it didn't anger him more.

His dark eyes looked me over before he stood up, leaving a motionless Rylan on the ground. I was pinned in place from the look on Axel's face. I tried to move, I really did, but the way he was stalking towards me left me paralyzed.

"You don't know how long I wanted to do that." His was now cool and smooth, almost like nothing had ever happened.

My eyes jumped to Rylan and I could now see he was bleeding from both his nose and mouth, my breathing stopped at the sight. I wanted to run over to him and make sure he was at least breathing but my body was frozen.

"Angel, look at me," Axel demanded but I kept my gaze on the knocked out boy on my floor.

"Mia." He says again trying to get my attention.

When he realizes I wasn't going to look at him, he put his fingers underneath my chin and forced me to look him in eyes.

I hated Axel's eyes, they were always too intense for me, they said so much even when his mouth says so little. Sometimes a single look from Axel was like trying to figure out morse code but other times, the message was clear as day.

"He's going to be okay." He assured me.

I didn't even know I was shaking until I felt Axel's hand grab mine. His hands were red and now cut from his interactions with Rylan's face.

"Why'd you hit him?" I choked out.

The grip he had on my hand tighten then released quickly, the faraway look in Axel's eyes started to disappear and was replaced with other emotions I couldn't quite put my finger on, determination maybe?

"Because I'm not letting what happen with Faye happen again, not this time." He told me, shaking his head.

"Plus he deserved it." Axel shrugged.

My tongue must have forgotten how to form words because no matter how hard I tried, they just wouldn't come out.

I wanted to ask him what he meant by the whole Faye thing but deep down, I already knew.