30. Lost And Amazed.

"You can't protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."

- Jonathan Safran Foer

************************************************

"My father? Are you making fun of me for being an orphan right now?" I raised my voice, offended.

Clayton chuckled, shaking his head with an amused look on his face.

"Who do you take me for, Mia?" He asked, turning his head to look at me inquisitively, almost like he was studying me.

"Or.." He smirked.

"Should I say, sister?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

We spent a few sounds staring at each other until I started laughing to myself unamused, I shook my head flabbergasted.

"I can't believe I thought you'd be any help." I didn't even look at him before turning around and started heading back to school.

"So, you're not even a little bit curious, Mia?" He yelled out like he was taunting me.

I stopped in my tracks, my back still facing him. I looked over my shoulder at him with my eyebrows knitted together, he was still standing in the same spot. Was I curious? Of course, who wouldn't be if some lunatic told you that you're related?

"Come on! You're making me feel bad sis! Think about it, have I lied to you yet?" He smiled but his eyes were still taunting me.

What he said was true, everything he's told me had all been the truth. I let out a deep sigh before turning to face him. I looked him up and down trying to check for any signs that he was lying.

"You know, It's not morally acceptable to check out your brother but since I'm so undeniably attractive, I'll let it go this one time." He said smiling widely which caused me to roll my eyes.

"Okay." I said, "I'll take the bait."

"I knew you were sensible, it runs in the family." Clayton joked.

"Under one condition," I added.

"Wow, we are already negotiating? I feel like real siblings already." He said amused.

"You have to answer every question I have," I told him, narrowing my eyes suspiciously. "Truthfully."

"Mm, you drive a hard bargain." He brought his hand up to his chin acting like he was making the hardest decision in his life.

"Deal." Clayton reached out his hand for me to shake.

"Deal." I grabbed his hand and shook it.

The realization of the moment out of nowhere hit me like a ton of bricks. He just said he was my brother, that we are related?

"How do you know we are related?" The words rushed out.

"How do you think?" He questioned.

His words racked my brains, slamming themselves through every inch of my head until it hit me.

"My father?" It came out as a whispered.

"Not your father, our father." He stated.

"You've met him?" My head started spinning out of control.

"Let's go." He said ignoring my question and walking past me towards the parked cars.

"Go? Go where?" I asked still standing in the same spot.