22. New Truths.

"I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

************************************************

So, it was safe to say, Axel was not very happy about the little stunt I pulled a couple of days ago. I could tell because he's been sulking around the house like a five-year-old, stomping and whining at virtually everything. Rylan begged me multiple times to reverse whatever I did to the "notorious bad boy" and tried convincing me again that Faye was nothing more than just figment of Axel's imagination.

I could also tell Axel was not too pleased with me when he came marching into my room Monday morning with a large glass of ice water.

"Ever heard of kno- why are carrying around a glass of water?" I stopped mid-sentence.

Axel looked down at the glass before quickly hiding it behind his back with a 'caught-in-action' look on his face.

"Shut up." He grunted, squinting his eyes at me.

"Were you going to dump that on me?" I asked him, slightly offended.

"It's not like you don't deserve it." He stated, now taking a drink of the water.

"I did nothing to you," I stated, brushing tangles out my hair.

"You've done everything to me!" He scoffed, sitting the glass on the dresser before coming closer towards me.

"Do you feel this?" He asked, grabbing my hand in his larger one and placed it above his heart. I felt his palpitations pulse against my hand.

"This happens every time I look at you." He whispered.

"You did this to me and I don't know how to make it stop." He squeezed my hand slightly.

I stared at his chest, more specifically, my hand that was on it. I didn't dare look up to meet Axel's intense gaze. I was too transfixed by the words that came out of his mouth. I wanted to grab his hand and put it over my own heart, I wanted him to feel it trying to escape my chest. I wanted to tell him about the pit in my stomach every time our eyes met or even the tingles that were dancing in my hand at this very moment, but I didn't.

"Say something." Axel's voice snapped me out of my trance.

"I just want to know the truth." I finally looked up at him.

"Mia, you've got to understand that I can't tell you." He looked at me with sorry eyes.

But that was the thing, I didn't understand why he couldn't, Noah was behind bars. Nothing was stopping him other than the fact he didn't trust me. I didn't understand why he nor Rylan couldn't just about this mysterious girl.

"Then you've got to understand why I'm asking you to leave." I pulled my hand away from his and looked down at the wood flooring.

Axel didn't move for several moments and when he noticed I wasn't going to say anything more he left the room with his head hanging low. I heard the slamming of his door followed by a loud crash as he threw, what I believe to be a lamp, against the wall.

I flinched slightly from the sound and instantly felt bad for upsetting him, I debated on knocking on his door and apologizing to him but again, I didn't. I focused on finishing getting ready for school instead.