Chapter 7 - Rescue

Daniel took Sejeong to this abandoned playground. Kids these days just rely on internet to keep themselves entertained that nobody come to these types of places.

"That night our dance crew went our own separate ways. The building where we're practicing was about to get demolished. The owner didn't plan to pay the rent anymore, he just left it open so he could get last money from us." he stold the story shyly. It's like he's never told this to anyone and never planned to.

"They transferred on different schools, and I stayed. Actually, I was left. And I trespassed every night to practice. It's the only thing that kept me happy at the moment. Dancing, I mean." he said then smiled, probably because saying the word 'dancing' made him excited.

"They demolished the building one night while I was inside." he said shocking Sejeong. "I was buried alive and nobody knew. My phone was inside my bag and I set it aside before practicing choreography. I was caught up practicing that I was far from my belongings. When the building collapsed, I was trapped. I couldn't breathe air, all I can breathe was debris that hurt me every time I inhale and exhale. I tasted blood. I felt sharp stabbing pain everytime I gasp for air. I tried to scream but nobody could hear my voice from the loud noises of the machine and falling concrete. Apparently, it's a demolition, not an earthquake. It's normal to not send a rescue team because they are there only for one purpose, to demolish the building. Luckily, I was found four days after when they're done getting rid of the broken pieces of concrete. I don't blame them, I was on the basement, there's no fast way to get to where I am. I was weak, hungry, and barely breathing." he paused when he noticed Sejeong sobbing, covering her mouth to muffle the noise. He pulled her in for a hug just to comfort her.

"At the hospital, people I knew called and I said I was fine. So they never bothered to see me in person. When the doctors demanded more examinations, that's when I knew that I'm fucked. The collapsed building didn't kill me. It didn't kill me instantly so I figured out maybe it's not my turn yet. Maybe I can still live my life without limits before the big day, but I'm still not satisfied with how I'm living my life." he said then cupped Sejeong's cheeks. "Then I saw Yongguk walking towards the cat shelter one day." he smiled once again.

So the cats helped him find purpose on his remaining time.

"When I first saw him, I thought he's badass. He looks like he's the guy who doesn't give a fuck, but then I saw him talk to cats. He introduced me to Roony and Peter. They were rescue cats from a demolition. I saw myself in them." he said.

Now Sejeong understood him more and his thing with cats.

"I heard people say that I smoke, I have tuberculosis but I smiled in front of them. Some say I can see ghosts and have the ability to communicate with spirits. Who cares what they think? It's better that way. It's better that they think what I have was from smoking, and that it was only tuberculosis. Because what I have isn't simple. I want to be treated like a normal before I die. Can you promise me to keep it a secret?" he asked Sejeong, staring at her as she wiped her own tears from her cheeks.

He didn't want to be pitied like this. His smile worked fooling everyone, but then she came around.

"One more favor, please pretend like you didn't know." he pleaded. Sejeong just didn't know what to say.

How can she pretend that she didn't know, if she already knew? Was it easy, play dumb?

Maybe other people can suppress their feelings. That's what they do right, they can control their feelings. They know how to be fine even though they're not.

Because she couldn't do it.

They would tell her to get over it. That she should stop being sad.

How do you do that? She has no idea.