Chapter 2

Eggman lowered his hands that were thrown up in the air in victory and took off his blue glasses. He wiped it and placed it back on his face. 

"No... This can't be true." He looked down from his window for the umpteenth time. There stood a blue hedgehog with his eyebrow raised and a black one with his incisors shining in the sun.

"NOOO" He bellowed and banged the table furiously. Papers and stationery flew in the air. Some fell on the robots and they stumbled backwards. 

"How can the cannon not fire? All seven chaos emeralds were put into position...." He turned to his robot assistants and started whacking them with the controller. 

"What did you do to the cannon, you idiots?". 

"We did exactly what you told us to do, Doc." The blue and yellow bots looked at each other, confused. 

Sonic turned to Shadow, "What happened to the cannon?" 

Shadow smirked. "It's not the cannon..."

"What do you mean?" Sonic gave him a perplexed look. Sure Eggman's schemes were well planned but they never go wrong. Not until the blue blur comes in and saves the day. 

This ended really quickly. Sonic wondered. Where's the fun in that?

Shadow looked at Eggman stomping about in fury and replied. 

"Those emeralds were fake" 

Sonic was taken aback, gasping at the reality of the situation. Shadow prepared fake emeralds to fool the doctor and get the truth out of him. It was expected from the top G.U.N agent.

Sonic smiled with hands on his hips. Not bad. "So where are the real ones?" 

"The eleventh tree at 4 o'clock" Sonic turned around southeast and dashed towards it. He sped around the tree countless times and came to a stop. 

"Shadow!" Sonic called as Shadow turned and dashed towards him. Sonic looked up, confused. "Is this the right tree?" 

Shadow crossed his arms. "Of course it is"

"The chaos emeralds...are not here", Sonic said. Now it was Shadow's turn to gasp. 

Shadow panicked and searched the surrounding trees to check if he had miscalculated. He highly doubted so as he is the ultimate lifeform (and it would be a shame for him if he had done so). Shadow noticed Sonic raising his eyebrow. 

"I swear I placed the bag behind this tree!" Shadow eyed the tree angrily. Sonic sighed and sat under the tree. "and it's also not like the bag of emeralds grew a pair of legs and ran away"

Shadow sat down beside him and tiredly closed his eyes. He ran through what he did for the whole day. He slowly stretched to loosen his tightened muscles. He lifted his face slightly, letting the light and shadow dance across his skin. The warmth of daylight calmed the hedgehog as he let out a sigh. 

Few minutes later, a thought came across Sonic's mind. His eyes widened in triumph as he sprang back up. "Can you time travel?"

Shadow raised his eyebrow at Sonic's ridiculous question. "No Sonic, I can't"

"Oh come on Shadow, think of a time when you have". 

"Sonic, you are asking the wrong person, I can't time travel, ask Silver", Shadow snapped. Silver the hedgehog, was the only hedgehog from the future who was able to time travel and visit dimensions. He was also an expert in it.

"I can only stop time temporarily using one of the chaos emeralds and teleport. I remember in the game SEGA created, Sonic The Hedgehog, we used 2 chaos emeralds to open a portal to go to the past or future. Who knows where we will end up with both emeralds! I certainly do not want to cause the end of the world again" 

Sonic nodded in agreement. But he wasn't going to give up that easily.

"Come on Shadow think of another time when you have". Sonic insisted. Shadow reluctantly closed back his eyes and thought deeper, searching for memories he wasn't aware of. 

Moments later, Shadow opened his eyes in shock. He had successfully managed to recall a fragment of his past.

"I think I can time travel" Shadow replied as Sonic's eyes widened in surprise. He did not believe what he had just heard. It was a miracle.

"How? What did you recall? Mind sharing it?" Sonic clasped his hands together in delight.

Shadow began "It all happened on Space Colony Ark, 50 years ago"

Flashback Mode (50 years ago)

"Come on Shadow! Let's play hide and seek, you'll hide and I'll seek okay?" Maria said. 

"No, you see-"

"If I can't find you within 5 minutes, you win and we will go on a hunt to find that fourth chaos emerald of yours."

"Wait what?"

"Ready GO! 1-2-3-4..." Maria covered her eyes with her small, feeble hands and started counting.

If you insist.  Shadow thought. He did want to find that damn emerald anyway.

Life on the Ark was very peaceful. Gerald Robotnik and his group of scientists conducted research and experiments 24/7. Gerald created Shadow using the DNA of an alien leader, Black Doom to develop a cure for, more specifically for his granddaughter, Maria, who suffered from Neuro-Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (NIDS). It was a very rare disease. A deadly one even. 

But after creating Shadow, Gerald was at ease because Maria was no longer alone and inactive. Maria had found her best friend. Her only friend. 

He dashed away from her as far as possible with his jet air shoes. He got to a narrow path leading to a laboratory that was away from the rest of the laboratories. Lights flickered overhead. The whole atmosphere quietened down as Shadow slowed down to a walk. 

Sudden noises of crashing apparatus came from the inside as a shadow darted across the room. 

Strange. Shadow thought. No one ever comes to this lab. It was usually deserted. 

But he recognised the lab coat and goggles of the shadow on the door.

"Gerald Robotnik? What is the professor doing here?" Shadow whispered under his breath as he took a few steps closer towards the frosted glass door. His gloved hands gently rested on the cold glass. He squinted to get a better look.