Chapter 3

Shadow looked through the frosted glass doors as Gerald Robotnik stood up from his chair and walked over to his desk and started writing away furiously. Shadow was observing his every move as the professor stopped for a second. He felt as if someone was watching him. So he turned around and spotted a blurry black figure behind the door.

Gerald approached the door and placed his hand on the screen at the side. A green light flashed and it lasted only a second as the door slid open. 

"Yes, who is it?" The professor turned his head left and to the right before looking down. 

"Shadow?" He didn't expect him (or anyone) to be there as it was a laboratory that was deserted for many years on the Ark after an explosion. Gerald had cleaned the place up and organised his chemicals, apparatuses and tools. That was the lab where he got inspiration to create project Shadow, the ultimate lifeform that would help cure Maria's NIDS.

"Come in Shadow" Gerald closed the door and gestured him to sit on his chair. Shadow sat down and glanced across the laboratory. The laboratory still looked pretty old. A few spiderwebs could be seen at the corners and the paint from the walls were peeling off. The table the professor was working on was the only place that was cleared. 

"Professor, you didn't tell me about this place." Shadow said as he looked at the professor who was busy searching for something. "Shadow, before you came, this laboratory used to be one of the busiest laboratories that had experiments going on all day and night. But unfortunately, a major accident happened few years ago, which injured and killed many scientists. And from that day on, no one came to visit the laboratory ever again". Professor took a golden box with him and placed it gently on the table.

The box had an image of a golden chaos emerald and a clock embedded on it. The professor took out a key from his lab coat and placed it on the box. Shadow eyed the box curiously as Gerald started explaining.

"This is the very first invention I created in this laboratory, a project that I worked on myself, a project that no one knows. I created a watch that goes back and forth in time". Gerald introduced his invention proudly. 

"But professor, how did you even create a watch like that? Only chaos emeralds have the power to do so." Shadow recalled what he had learned while reading the books the professor gave him.

"The Chaos Drives I created are crystallized chaos energy that are contained in devices. They work as a power source for the time travelling device. I used some of its energy to create you"

"Oh, that is the reason why I have this" He opened his clenched fist to release emerald sparks in the air. Gerald nodded and continued. 

"I combined all the remaining chaos energy that was left in the drives, into this device." He opened the box and attached the watch to Shadow's wrist.

Shadow felt the chaos energy connecting with him as emerald sparks danced in his palm and his golden inhibitor rings glowed for a moment before slowly fading away back to its normal brightness. He felt even stronger. 

Shadow admired the device for a while before asking, "Is this for me?"

The professor smiled and placed his hands on Shadow's shoulder. "It's my present for you" He looked at the elated hedgehog and added on, "Time is a very fragile thing to mess with Shadow. Use it only during times of crisis. To save the world. Not to be used for personal reasons"

The smile on Shadow's face diminished to a frown. "Okay" 

Suddenly, a siren started to sound in the ark. The professor's face fell. They have come to get Shadow

He started to pack up his things to erase all evidences of his works in the lab. He passed the golden box to Shadow. Both of them exited the lab and started heading towards the secret emergency hideout on the ark.

Shadow let out a laugh. "Don't worry professor. It's probably just another drill" Or Maria's way of finding me and calling the game a tie.

One of the scientists started talking on the PA system. "kra eht dedavni evah sreidlos nug" And it was repeated thrice. 

It was the code for : G.U.N soldiers have invaded the Ark. 

It's actually the reverse of the message. 

Silence fell like a down-filled duvet over the whole Ark as the soldiers' footsteps echoed eerily. Beads of perspiration trickled down the professor's face in the air conditioned Ark. He stopped halfway and turned to Shadow. 

"Go! Quick! Grab Maria and find a way to hide from the soldiers, I will find a way out of this and meet you once the soldiers are gone." 

"Are you kidding? This is really dangerous! Those government soldiers are armed with high-tech rifles and weapons. Besides, Maria and the other scientists must be on their way to the hideout. If again, this is real" Shadow said. 

"This is real! The G.U.N (Guardian Units of the Nation) soldiers are after me and you. They got to know about your existence and this project. They think I have caused a great threat to the planet by creating you, but all I ever wanted was to cure Maria. And allow her to go back to Earth and live life like the normal children." 

Tears rolled down his cheek. He wiped them and continued, "They are going to shut down the ark and do away with anyone who has worked on project Shadow. And destroy you"

Shadow looked up, concerned. "I cannot leave you on your own like this. Maybe I will bring you to the hideout and then go look for Maria" He added on "I am the Ultimate Lifeform. I can fight them to keep you safe"

The professor placed a hand on Shadow's shoulder and bent down a little. "We do not have much time. Don't worry about me. Just get yourself and Maria to safety. I will be fine. And no matter what happens, I know that you are there by her side to protect her, like her Shadow..."

The soldiers' footsteps became louder as the professor stood up straight and put on a faint smile.

Shadow dashed towards the place where he last saw Maria. 

He found Maria crouching under a table with her hands above her head. She was shivering in fear. The invasion was real.

Shadow bent down and grabbed her hand. "Quick let's go to the hideout. We will be safe there" 

Maria got up from the floor and smiled. "After this is over, let's go on an emerald hunt okay?"

Shadow sighed, for she did not understand the gravity of the situation. "We have no time for this"

Time...That is it! Time! 

Shadow looked at the device on his wrist. I still have a second chance if this fails right?

"Hey! You must be that stupid alien creature! Surrender!" He aimed his rifle at Shadow. Maria trembled at the sight. Shadow raged. But he did not want to show his full force in front of Maria. 

"Hold tight" Shadow warned as he grabbed her wrist and blasted off on his skates at full speed.