Chapter 7

Shadow chaos-blasted the airship and smoke billowed and engulfed the whole place within seconds. A deafening sound came from behind. Jet spun around. His jaw dropped as he saw the explosion unfold infront of him and u-turned his gear back towards the airship. 

"Oh My God! MY AIRSHIP!! That airship cost me a fortune!" Jet bellowed. Fury roared through his mind as he aggressively pulled out his walkie talkie from his jacket pocket. They were so going to get it this time.

"STORM? WAVE? Can you hear me?" simpletons. "IT'S JET!" Jet slammed his walkie talkie a couple of times onto his palm in a futile attempt to make it work. Come on! Come on! 

Perhaps they are dead?

He seethed, and threw the useless device. "It's no use! I guess it's up to me to find out. On my own. Those two better have a good explana-tion-whoa..." The gear jerked and Jet was flung up into the air and back down. 

"Hey, what is wrong with the gear?" Jet gasped. The chaos emeralds!

The gear went wild like a possessed beast. Jet hugged the gear tightly. Adrenaline flooded his systems, his pupils dilated in fear. The gear suddenly stopped moving. Now it was Jet's turn to be thrown out. He instantly fell towards the ground at full speed. 

"Ouch, oww! ouch, ouch!" Jet yelled as he fell into a tree. Getting scraped by sharp branches in the process, he fell flat on his face. He groaned in pain, his eyes tracing the newly formed scars all over his arms and back. Skin peeled and dangled gruesomely. 

Jet slowly got up, cursing himself for not using the wings he had and looked up at the airship. He gasped when the smoke cleared, revealing his airship. Why wasn't the airship burning? A bloody explosion just happened!

Everyone was coughing back on the airship. All the devices were destroyed except for the control panels so the airship was still moving. The tables and chairs were burnt to nothing but ashes. Shadow landed on the ground, with the energy he had left and collapsed on the floor. It took a while for the smoke to clear.

"-cough cough- Shadow? You okay buddy? Hey? -cough cough- Are you feeling alright?", Sonic shook Shadow. He slapped Shadow's face a few times. Shadow was motionless on the ground. Sonic dashed out to get some water and came back. He sprinkled some on Shadow's face.

"Shadow? Shadow? Wake up!" 

Shadow slowly opened his eyes. A blurry blue figure was kneeling down beside him with a cup of water. He was still sprinkling, and water went into his eyes.

"Watch it!" Shadow sat upright and wiped his eyes. His hands instantly grabbed his head, that was spinning from the sudden impact. With half opened eyes, he looked around at the blasted place. Everyone was covered in soot. Wave and Storm sighed in unison. 

"Jet is going to kill us Wave, what do we do?". Wave shrugged her shoulders. Shadow got up to his feet while rubbing his forehead. He finally came back to his senses.

"I chaos-blasted this airship". Shadow stated the obvious. Wave rolled her eyes and exclaimed. "Took you long enough! The device had all the chaos energy stored as it was powering up Jet's extreme gear. Now that you destroyed it, the powers must have returned to the chaos emeralds like you two insisted in the first place."

Shadow and Sonic exchanged smiles.

"I wonder what happened to Jet though. Hope he's okay. He's still not back yet" Wave glanced at her watch and wondered. 

"Maybe he went out of the airship and got lost?" Storm thought. "The gear should have lost all its energy as the device is destroyed..."

Sonic reached for the bag of emeralds and opened it to check whether the energy had came back to the emeralds. Instead, he suddenly gasped ever so loudly and closed back the bag. Shadow raised his eyebrows. Sonic carried the bag and came running towards Wave and Storm. 

"Let's have a deal". Sonic looked at the duo. Shadow came towards them. 

What was the faker up to this time?

Wave and Storm looked at each other in total confusion. "You guys tied us up, and now you are saying you want a deal?" Storm asked as Wave nodded, perplexed.

"Listen, we need two extreme gears. If you agree to give them to us, we will free you."

Shadow whispered into his ear. "Sonic, are you crazy? What do you think you are-" Sonic held up his hand and gave him his signature smile. "Don't worry, I've got this".

Wave and Storm discussed for a little while and turned to both hedgehogs. "Fine, it's a deal" Wave said. Sonic nodded. "Wise decision"

Sonic untied the ropes to free the rouges and grabbed two extreme gears. "Adios rouges, it was a blast meeting you" Sonic replied. 

They both ran out of the room towards the end of the airship at full speed.

"Sonic, mind explaining? I am starting to lose my patience" Shadow grumbled.

Sonic came to a stop to reply. "It is really complicated. The emeralds are..." Shadow crossed his arms at his chest. He sensed the blue hedgehog's hesitation and snatched the bag from him. "The chaos energy is restored. We saved Mobius from potential danger. We can go back now, right?" He stated, as a matter of fact. But Sonic shook his head in disagreement. 

Shadow opened the bag. As soon as he did, his face fell. His irritation was replaced with an unknown fear. Trembling, he closed back the bag. Sweat trickled down his forehead as he handed it back to Sonic. 

"I have never, ever, seen something like this happen before". Shadow said, breaking the pregnant pause. Sonic panicked. "What are we going to do now Shadow?" 

Shadow shrugged his shoulders and crossed his arms again. Sonic sighed and exclaimed, "How could this even happen? I have experienced the chaos emeralds turn black when their energy is gone but not...SHATTERED?!".