Chapter 13

"STOP IT RIGHT THERE!", Silver the hedgehog said. The time travelling hero about 200 years from the future came back for another dramatic and unexpected entrance. 

"Well we are frozen, so we can't do anything while we are stuck like this", Shadow said as Silver released all of them. His palms stopped glowing cyan blue and returned back to normal. 

"Guys, your actions will cause a terrible disaster in the future!" Silver said as he walked closer to all of them. "There will be a great danger for another universe---"

"ANOTHER UNIVERSE??" Knuckles gasped, interrupting his flow of dialogue.

"I'm afraid so...Another universe. I remember one area of the universe and it was metro city." Silver said as Eggman gasped in complete surprise, "You mean the place where Inspector Gadget lives?".

Everyone stared at Eggman in confusion. 

"What! Don't you all know that show? It's what I watch on Netflix all the time!". Sonic was about to say something while raising his pointer finger but was interrupted by Silver.

"Yes". 

Everyone gasped even more. 

"Trust me, you really do not want to know what happened to our future.", Silver said. 

"What DID happened to our future Silver? I hate cliffhangers. Once you start something, you end it", Shadow told as he took out his gun.

"Okay okay, chillax Shadow. Put that back", Silver used his powers to light up the fire that was put out a long time ago. Everyone gathered around it and sat in a circle. 

"So here is what your past-selves did..."

Past

When all of you were in total confusion and started arguing, Eggman came up with a solution on why the key was not working. "SILENCE!", Eggman said as everyone stopped to listen. "The key is not working because there is not enough chaos energy in the key". Everyone was confused even more. "What do you mean, Egghead?", Sonic asked.

"All the energy from the chaos emeralds is there in the key, the energy in master emerald is used to find this energy so there is basically none left. What more energy does the key need?" Knuckles asked.

"It needs ALL THE CHAOS ENERGY", Eggman said. 

"ISN'T ALL THE ENERGY THERE ALREADY?", Amy said.

"NO, IT IS NOT THERE!"

Everyone turned to Tails who screamed his lungs out to get all of their attention. "Thank you, like what Eggman said, we need ALL the chaos energy and what we have is only like what? about 90 percent of it?". 

"Okay we get it Tails but where is the remaining chaos energy?" Cream asked. Tails pointed to Shadow's hand as Shadow jumped back in surprise.

"Me?" Shadow asked. 

"No... Your device! It is powered using chaos energy in chaos drives right? We can connect your watch to the key and transfer all the energy to it and open the door!" Tails said as everyone cheered. But Shadow wasn't very pleased with the idea at all.

"You want me to give up my device just like that?" Shadow said as Sonic approached him. "Oh come on Shadz! Why don't you want to give him your device? What's so special about it, just a device"

"You fool!" Shadow's eyes burned red in rage. Sonic winced at the sudden response.

"It is the only thing I have left with me from the ark. A gift from the professor. Even though I had it for years, I never knew it existed. A memory of my past". Shadow tilted his head lower and traced the engraved name with his fingers: Gerald Robotnik

"You will not have the device. Ever." 

Knuckles approached both hedgehogs. "But Shadow, we need all the energy to get the key working and in order for all of us to see what is behind that door... And Angel Island is at risk... Well it's the energy that the key needs not the device". 

Sonic agreed with the red echidna, "Yeah Shadow, you can keep the device afterwards as a memory of the people on the Ark!".

Shadow was taken aback by the new suggestion. 

But what about Maria? Without the device's power, I will not be able to go back to the past and save her. Is that what I want? Is that what Maria have wanted? Was that all just a forgotten memory?  Shadow worried. 

I cannot decide!

If I go back to the past just one more time, I would be able to stop the intruders on the Ark, save Maria. Perhaps even cure her. We could both explore Earth. Together. Professor would be very happy. Proud even. Of the Ultimate Lifeform. 

I will not be a mere weapon for others to wield. 

Would Maria want this? Would the professor want this? Was that why he gave me the device? To make a wise decision and save mankind? 

Shadow shook his head. Sadness spread across his face. 

Professor, I am not worthy of the power this device holds. You have chosen the wrong person.

But I want to go back and relive those joyous moments. Those memories that I don't remember. 

Going back to my past will also stop all this nonsense from happening. Angel Island will be saved! It is a win win situation!

But I cannot do this without the energy in the device

In a flash, golden wires came out of nowhere and tied all of them up. With no room for escape.

They all struggled to break free, but to no avail. The wires were linked to a powerful lock, that only opened with the correct password. 

"What's going on Egg-face! What have you done!" Sonic exclaimed, trying to rotate his wrists and ankles to break free. 

Tails tried to lift everyone's spirits. "Don't worry guys, I will try to use my hacking skills to try out the possible combinations"

"A single wrong password given or attempts to hack will send signals to the wires and strangle you all to death. HAHA HAAAAHAAH!!"

The corners of Eggman's lips curled involuntarily and his laughter erupted, echoing throughout the forest. He bent over and repeatedly slapped Decoe, who was beside him. A few bolts fell off and his head simultaneously rolled on the floor. Becoe tried to hold his laughter in, only to sputter like an old water faucet. 

"HA. HA. HA. HA .HA. AH----" 

"I want my head back!!" The headless android stumbled towards him to retrieve the head which was now in Becoe's hands. Becoe ran around the area, tossing the head up and down.

"Give me back my head!"

Eggman grew irritated. "Shut up you idiots! You are ruining my moment of victory"