Chapter 16

I slowly turned my head towards the side of the desk. Penny and the professor were busy talking and analysing. A few scientists were at the other desks, doing further analysis of other top secret case evidences. 

I waited patiently for a while, hoping someone would come in and leave the door open for me to make my exit. 

A minute passed. Then the second. And the tenth. 

Damn! No one? Not even Gadget? There is no escaping then. 

I must blend in.

While hidden under the table, I looked around the laboratory again. All the scientists were wearing a lab coat with the HQ's pin in the middle. They had transparent goggles and cerulean gloves on. My golden eyes darted around the room, searching for those items. 

Bingo! But it was all the way at the back of the lab.

I had no choice but to walk all the way there. I suddenly wished I had Shadow's power of teleportation. Shaking that thought off my head, I got up. 

Phew. No one saw me. Yet.

I made my way to the back of the room. Some noticed me and signaled to one another. They all chuckled in unison. My face went crimson.

News spreads really quickly here.

"Hey you must be the new agent everyone's been talking about!" I whirled around on my heels. Two familiar faces stare back at me. I freeze, fearing my cover would be blown. 

"That's me" I whisper, waving my gloved hands that covered my cyan marks. I glance over their shoulders, praying that the door would open. I impatiently drum a rhythm against my thigh. 

"The chief told me that Inspector Gadget hired someone named Silver" The professor spoke. "I have never met a new agent in the lab before. It does make sense considering how you have an element of the periodic table as your name." His eyes sparked with excitement. "How does it feel to be called Silver, Silver? Do you love science? I could teach you all I know about them" Wow. He must be really into chemistry.

"Then today would definitely not be enough, Professor" Penny laughed. "Professor Von Slickstein never stops talking: If that topic is about science. He is the head of the Science and Research department here at HQ." 

"If you ever need anything, this genius is here to help you" He winked and adjusted his glasses. 

"And I am Penny, Inspector Gadget's niece. It's a pleasure meeting you." She shook my hand. "I cannot wait to work with you. Soon you will find out how awesome being an agent is!" She stepped forward and leapt into the air. She spun and landed with her right foot infront of the other, her arms up and ready in fighting position. 

The professor let out a laugh. "Not so fast, Penny! Silver needs to know the rules and regulations as well as our schedule. Besides, you haven't prepared the new codex, identification card and attire yet, have you?" 

Penny looked sheepish. "Oh right! The chief reminded me of that when I entered HQ. I will get to it right away" She hurried to the front door and the door automatically slid open and closed after she left.

I felt like slapping myself for not realising that ages ago. So the ID card was needed to only enter rooms, not leaving them...

The professor clasped his hands before him, a lock of orange hair fell over his eyes. "Alright Silver, feel free to take a look around HQ. I have to supervise the other scientists. Penny will be back and she will brief you later." He bent slightly to whisper in my 'ear'. Although the hoodie covered my ears and hair, my hand instinctively covered the side of my head, where the human ear would be located. So that the professor wouldn't faint at the sight of my missing 'ears'.